The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

I'm enjoying reading the book so far. It is hard to make the individual explanations interesting, but you are doing a great job. I really wanted this book four or five years ago, and it is still interesting -- particularly for functions that I don't use all that much.

In section 1.7 you discuss examining the sources to functions, particularly Clojure core functions. I have created a library that runs at the REPL and will pretty-print any Clojure core function (or any function defined in a file, actually) at the REPL and do syntax coloring as well. I mention it because since I created this library, I find that I look at the core functions a lot more than I used to, because I can trust the formatting, and because they are syntax colored. While all of the sources are formatted pretty well, the styles do vary a bit, and it is nice to know that the formatting is solid when trying to understand a function that somebody else wrote. I tend to rely on the visual structure of the code a lot, personally. Anyway, the library is https://github.com/kkinnear/zprint and to format a function at the REPL you just type (czprint-fn fn-name), and out it comes. The library is overly configurable, so if you don't like the way it formats by default, you can configure it in a huge variety of ways, including having a ~/.zprintrc file. You can configure it so that it will format the code in the way that you prefer (as opposed to how the author of the code or the author of zprint preferred). Anyway, this might make your life slightly easier, and it might also be useful for other folks that are exploring the standard library.

Thanks for writing this book. It truly needed to be done, and you are doing a much better job of it than I imagined that anyone would do!
So, I'm trying to work my way through this reducers material. This is great, and I have hopes that on my third or fourth try, maybe I'll get it. I've only made one pass so far. That said, I started programming Lisp because I think (and program) in pictures, and I could picture lisp cons cells and the resulting lists. Given that, I'm trying to build up pictures in my head of what reducers are doing, and I'm having a lot of trouble building up the picture. Your figures 6.2 and 6.4 helped me with lazy sequences (which are *much* less complex issues, to be sure). It would add a lot to this chapter if you could figure out some way to picture reducers that would help all of this fit together. At least it would help me out, and I have to believe I'm not the only one that it would help. I don't understand them well enough yet to even begin to offer you an idea of what that picture (or, hopefully, pictures) would look like.

Thanks!
I'm still struggling to comprehend this section (which I really like -- I think -- as I haven't really understood reducers yet). So maybe this all really makes sense and I just don't get it. But in the paragraph in 11.4.2 right after listing 11.11, you mention (map-transformer) and then again map-transformer. But that appears to be a dangling reference to me. Maybe I just missed the concept somehow, but I thought I was following along (more or less) and then I got to this paragraph and ... ran into a wall wondering where map-transformer came from.
Looks to me like listing 11.10 has the labels for numbers 2 and 3 switched.
The summary mentions pcalls, pvalues, etc. that are now in Chapter 11. Basically, this summary needs to be re-worked to reflect the information that is now in Chapter 10.