The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Yes, just as prescribed in the text.
Hey,

I'm really enjoying working through the book so far, but I am stuck in Chapter 7. I believe that I have configured my vlans correctly. When I do a "show ip interface brief | i 00" I get:

Vlan600 172.31.60.254 YES manual up up
Vlan700 172.31.70.254 YES manual up up

I believe that I have ip routing enabled. When I do a "show ip route" I get:

Codes: C - connected, S - static, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2
i - IS-IS, su - IS-IS summary, L1 - IS-IS level-1, L2 - IS-IS level-2
ia - IS-IS inter area, * - candidate default, U - per-user static route
o - ODR, P - periodic downloaded static route

Gateway of last resort is not set

172.31.0.0/24 is subnetted, 2 subnets
C 172.31.60.0 is directly connected, Vlan600
C 172.31.70.0 is directly connected, Vlan700

I can ping the interface of each vlan from a device in that vlan, but I cannot ping the interface of the other vlan or devices in the other vlan.

Any advice on what I can do to find my issue?

Thanks,

Ed
The sidebar in section 4.3 discusses installing Node.js; however, it does not explicitly recommend a minimum release of Node.js to use for the examples to work. Assuming that somebody is installing Node.js for the first time, there is a good chance that they will install a 6.x release and the examples will work. However, a reader could have an older version of Node.js installed and the nodecc example could throw errors.
I used this template from the first edition:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/awsinaction/chapter2/template.json

and the example works. However, I don't know if there was some update to the template for the second edition that I am missing.

In general, I am wondering about if this is the kind of thing that Manning wants discussed or not in the Errata. It seems like a typo or perhaps permissions as set wrong, but it is key to being able to do the example in Chapter 2.
Michael,

Thanks! The example worked with the faster mirror.

The fact that the example did not complete for me with the slower mirror actually provided a great learning experience. It really drove home that there is no default connection between the completion of the script in the userData and the status of the stack being reported as CREATE_COMPLETE by CloudFormation. (A point that you may want to consider emphasizing in the next addition.)

I asked a friend with more AWS experience and what he said they do is create a tag saying something like "initialization complete" at the end of the userData script. Since its a tag it can be searched for.

A point that you may want to consider emphasizing in the next addition.

Thanks again,

Ed
Example in 11.1 does not seem to work. It appears that Jenkins never gets downloaded and started on the VM. There are the following errors in the System log of the server:

One of the yum configured repositories failed

Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo....

Apparently this is retried 3 times.

The following seems to hang:
wget http://pkg.jenkins-ci.org/redhat/jenkins-1.616-1.1.noarch.rpm

and never finishes.
After fixing the "paramater" spelling error in the service code and replacing "findIndexOf" with "indexWhere" in the client. I was still having trouble getting the example to work.

After thinking about what we were trying to do, I realized that, for example, the "headers" following the -h had to be in the form "name=value", that is, there must be an '='. If not, you get an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException.

It would be a little easier on the reader to explain that the list of requests and headers must be of this form. (I don't expect to have great validation code, since this is just an example, but that would have been nice too.)