The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

I think there is something to adjust about the form of this sentence [1]

At the end of the day, stateful pods [are how data] is how users are going to get data in and out of your application.

[1] https://livebook.manning.com#!/book/openshift-in-action/chapter-1/v-2/point-289-126-126-0
I'd like a mention about application logs management in a scalable container platform.

How logs can be persisted and managed in a stateless and (auto) scalable platform?
on the second bullet [1] there is written "os" instead of "or" and "the" instead of "they"?

User state information inside a complex application, or users can pick up where they leave off during a long-running transaction.

[1] https://livebook.manning.com#!/book/openshift-in-action/chapter-1/v-2/point-288-117-117-0
The container revolution (the subject), ...

"..., but now includes command line tools, desktop tools, and..."
I'm not a native english but I think it should be

"... and it's going to take 9 month to properly containerize it"
The starting sentence is not clear

"Containers started in the enterprise world" or "Containers started in the enterprise IT world"?

I exclude

"Containers started in the enterprise it world" smilie

What's the right one?
In the next section<fullstop> we'll discuss a few...

probably should be

In the next section we'll discuss a few...
Secondly, because starting a doesn’t include booting up an entire kernel, the startup
process is much faster.

probably you would write

Secondly, because starting a container doesn’t include booting up an entire kernel, the startup
process is much faster.
Hi,

I'm reading the first Chapter (through the free download). I've found on page 13 this error:

"If you application are stateful"... that should be, if I'm not wrong: "If your applications are stateful or If your application is stateful"

Best regards,
Denis.
Hi,

does Activiti support process instance correlation (like in BPEL fashion style) and is there a chapter that describe how a message can correlate with a particular process instance?

thanks,
Denis.
Hi all,

I'm not sure this functionality is already covered in the last release of the book.

Is there a chapter that explain how trace/debug/audit the input/output vale of every transition in a process instance?

Activiti has a graphical console to debug running or completed process instances?

Thanks,
Denis.

Message was edited by:
denis.signoretto
Hi Tijs,

I think that debugging it's a really important feature. Are you aware about introduction of this feature in next releases of Activiti?

Can this feature added as improvement in the Activiti Roadmap?

Thanks,
Denis.

Message was edited by:
denis.signoretto
Hi,

I've just started reading your Book. I'm interested about "activiti rest" module and Web Services integration capability in a SOA context (e.g. with ESB or BAM).

In Figure 1.11 I found it but it's not explained in table 1.1.

Rest and other integration will be treated in some later chapter?

Thanks,
Denis.
Dear Tijs,

thanks for your clarification.

I'm proceeding reading your book and I'm really envolved in Activiti and I think your book it's a really an important documentation source.

Great job.

Thanks,
Denis.
Hi Luke,

paragraph 2.6.1 (page 42) describe Probe it's reported it manage User/Group.
At the moment I'm writing (Activiti 5.6) these functionalities are also in "activiti-administrator" web application. With Probe I can only inspect the content of tabels: ACT_ID_USER, ACT_ID_GROUP and ACT_ID_MEMBERSHIP while with administrator I can add user, define new groups, and assign user group/roles.

Thanks,
Denis.
Page 38, Figure 2.15, activiti-cfg.xml or activiti.cfg.xml ?
In chapter 4.2.2 (NOTE on page 70) you mention the possibility to use an LDAP as user repository. You also worte: "We look at various options to implement identity management in chapter 7". Probably it's a chapter refactor error - at the moment Chapter 7 deals with Error Handling.

LDAP integration it's a common requirement. Are you planning a dedicated chapter about IndentityService integration with external user repositories?

Thanks,
Denis.
page 48, paragraph 3.1 in the shown pom.xml I suppose that the correct value of "activiti-version" is 5.6 (or 5.7 for next releases) instead of 5.0.

All wrapped lines reports extra characters "[CA]". The repository url is:

http://maven.alfresco.com/nexus/content/repositories/activiti

Denis.
Hi Richard,

I'm experiencing different behaviour.

I'm working with LR CE 6.0.6. My experience with my own service builder that defines Order and OrderItems entities (one to many relationship) is that I need to expliciti use "BatchSessionUtil.setEnabled(true);" to get transaction in the insert operation of one order and his orderItems.

(ref. http://www.liferay.com/community/forums/-/message_boards/message/4928729)

Can you tell us something more about BatchSessionUtil usage and how handle transactions within service builder and defined entities ? Are there explicit examples about it?

Thanks,
Denis.
Hi Andy,

Briefly web plugins are normal web application that can leverage on Liferay internal api and in particular can use service builder and autodeploy feature.
About web plugin you can read detalied answer of Ray Augé to Jonas and me in this Blog thread. (Look comments)
http://www.liferay.com/es/web/jonas.yuan/blog/-/blogs/4639517

Bye,
Denis.

... A web-plugin also add support for embedding hook definition or
Service Builder services within a plain old webapp. And finally,
you can deploy them using the liferay autodeploy mechanism the same
way that you do with other portal-plugins (drop in the deploy folder
or upload through the UI). I'm sure there might be one or two small
things I missed, but essentially, if you don't care about any of the above,
go ahead and make you webapp a plain old webapp." ...
Reading better, I reply to myself. I think the only anwser id Yes. In the end of chapter 8.2.6 in the same way it happens for Service Builder developen in a Hook plugin if you want to use it under other plugins you need to copy the classes or jars or share it through your application server global classpath.
Hi in chatper 8.1.3 the book describe how to create a hook project and in 8.2.6 how hook services. Creating a separate portlet plugins-sdk can I write a portlet that use that hooked classes or I need to merge portlet and hook in a unique war ?

Thanks,
Denis.
Hi Richard,

Thanks for your answer.

I still haven't aproached the new ext-plugin in depth. If I want to share a Class with all plugins is there a way to do it with ext? I noticed that plugins-sdk create inside every
plugins 3 jar:

(plugin-name)-ext-util-taglib.jar>,
(plugin-name)-ext-util-java.jar,
(plugin-name)-util-bridges.jar

Can you explain what the are used for? Can the be useful for my poupose to share a class between all plugins?

Are you planning an ext-plugin chapter smilie?

Thanks,
Denis.

Message was edited by:
denis.signoretto
I get service build compilation successfull with similar service.xml with sdk 6.0.5.

check also your build.<username>.properties

Even if service builder compilation was successfull I was expecting an automatic generation of method .getUser() in Lease model interface. But it only updates Persistence classes.

Is there something wrong in service builder or it's correct?

Thanks,
Denis.