Hi,

Pertaining to the min and max example (pp 38-39), if I follow the example without first converting swr's elements from String to Int, it won't produce desired results.

At first I thought there was a bug in RDD's min and max methods, however, it didn't take long for me to figure out I need to do the transformation first.

For beginners, it may not be straight forward so a note on min max example will help or avoid the confusion.

Cheers
Richard Goh
32353 wrote:Hi Davy & Arno,

Good stuff. I learned about Hortonworks Sandbox in the sample chapter.

I tried the hadoop example with the latest version i.e. Hortonworks Sandbox 2.2. I managed to follow thru the whole 1.6 section except the visualization part. It seems like the "Enable Visualization" box is missing.

In the TOC, it seems like you guys have dedicated the whole chapter for "Connecting Python to Traditional Databases". I'm not sure if we could connect Python to Hadoop. It'd nice to see how to use HadoopPython not only with traditional databases but also Hadoop and other NoSQL data stores.

Cheers
R.Goh
Hi Davy & Arno,

Good stuff. I learned about Hortonworks Sandbox in the sample chapter.

I tried the hadoop example with the latest version i.e. Hortonworks Sandbox 2.2. I managed to follow thru the whole 1.6 section except the visualization part. It seems like the "Enable Visualization" box is missing.

In the TOC, it seems like you guys have dedicated the whole chapter for "Connecting Python to Traditional Databases". I'm not sure if we could connect Python to Hadoop. It'd nice to see how to use Hadoop not only with traditional databases but also Hadoop and other NoSQL data stores.

Cheers
R.Goh
Hi Kostis,

Many thanks for getting back.

It works after adding groovy to the source folder. However, it won't run for the first time as groovy code hasn't been compiled yet (ClassNotFoundException will be thrown for Spock test). To get the Spock tests working, I've to run the Maven test first then run the JUnit test again and the Spock tests work a treat.

Cheers
R.Goh
Hi Kostis,

I just tried Spock tests in chapter1 and I used Groovy/Grails Tool Suite with m2e plugin.

I managed to run 3 Spock tests with Maven test (Run As Maven test).

However, when I run chapter1 project as JUnit Test, the JUnit Rinner in GGTS only picked up Java unit tests and ignored Spock tests.

I also noticed the following error message in the project pom.xml file: Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration: org.codehaus.gmaven:gmaven-plugin:1.4:compile (execution: default, phase: compile)

Is this the right behaviour or Spock tests are meant to run only in Maven test?

Thanks in advance.

- R.Goh