The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Hi Guys,
Is it possible to insert or update the database using Linq to Dataset without using adapters? ie calling adapter.Update(). I went through the bonus chapter and i didnt see where you do database update. How can i come with the structure of LinqBooks class on an oracle database since it doesnt support Linq to SQL? Secondly, i was looking at your chapter 14 sample code FillDataSetUsingLinqToSql1(LinqBooksDataSet dataSet). Why doesnt the query return a datatable? Wouldnt it have been easy that way since your iterator variable automatically becomes a datarow. I tried with Northwind database. With the product table it gives an error on categoryID though i did it exactly the same way you did dataSet.Book.AddBookRow(book.ID, book.Title, book.Subject, dataSet.Publisher.FindByID(book.Publisher).... Any help.