The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

You should do just fine using Notepadd++. The main thing you need to do is make sure the files are located in a server environment so that the ArcGIS JavaScript API will work correctly. So, for IIS, you could edit the files directly in a folder in c://inetpub/wwwroot.

If you have any issues, feel free to let me know.

Thanks!
By defining the popupInfo in the webmap spec part of the configuration for the layer, there is no need to create a click event. The arcgisUtils.createMap method handles this for you. So you should be able to click on the layer and get the popup with the defined details. I just tested it out and it seems to be working. If you're getting a different result, please let me know.
There has been some rework in the source code samples and how the code is referenced in the chapters. If it's not in sync at the moment, it should be in the next MEAP release and definitely by finished release. Sorry about that.
Thanks for catching that query one, I had actually missed that one. The latest source code is still being cleaned up as I had left some older files in there and gotten my numbering out of sequence in a couple of spots. Those will all be updated soon. Thanks!
Sorry for the late response.
It's odd that the constructor made a difference.

In the latest versions, which I don't think have made their way to the MEAP yet, I have removed the named modules, so
define('utils/sample', []. {});
Is now just
define(null, {});

The Dojo build tools, which are not discussed in the book, because using them with the Esri JS API is a complex task, will name the modules for you. Doing so as a developer is not something that should be done in practice. I was trying to show how AMD worked in this case, but it was probably a little confusing to include that in the book, so I took it out.

Also by passing null instead of an empty array, because even an empty array kicks off some extra logic in the declare module.
https://github.com/dojo/dojo/blob/master/_base/declare.js#L748
It's not a lot, but my tech editor pointed out that the Dojo recommendation is to pass null in place of an empty array.

I'm glad you got the module working though, any further questions, please feel free to ask.
What you'd want to do is create a file called something like myScalebar.js in a folder with a define() method that references the "esri/dijit/Scalebar", like define(['esri/dijit/Scalebar'], function(Scalebar) { return /*stuff*/ });.

Then in the your main require method reference it like
require(['myfolder/myScalebar'], function(myScalebar) { /*do stuff*/ });

The trick is when using custom modules with the ArcGIS JS API, you are working Dojo from a CDN (Content Delivery Network) so you'll need to do a little work in the configuration to load your own modules.
http://dojotoolkit.org/documentation/tutorials/1.9/cdn/

Hope that helps.
Unfortunately I didn't get to include this in the book. The focus of the book is more introductory, with some advanced items included. Working with the various layers and customizations are a little more advanced.
I think what you are looking at is the ArcGIS Desktop software. This book uses the ArcGIS API for JavaScript which is free.
https://developers.arcgis.com/en/javascript/
It will also utilize free developer accounts for ArcGIS Online in later chapters.

Sorry if the requirements weren't as clear in Chapter 1 as to what is needed for the book, I'll be sure to clarify it.

Thanks!
Thanks. I'll be sure to revisit the appendix and flesh it out some more with installation instructions for xampp and Visual Studio Express. Appreciate the feedback!
Welcome to the "ArcGIS Web Development" forum. I hope this forum can be an active discussion for the book as ArcGIS Web Development goes through the MEAP process and all. the way to final production.

I'll do my best to answer any questions and address any critiques to make ArcGIS Web Development a valuable resource for all its readers.

Thank you very much,
Rene Rubalcava