The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Page 58 contains the following statement: 'DRY is one of the SOLID principles (the D)'.

Maybe it should be smilie but the D in SOLID actually stands for 'Dependency inversion principle', one of the five basic Object Oriented Design principles defined by Robert Martin.

The DRY principle was formulated by Dave Thomas and Andy Hunt in their book 'The Pragmatic Programmer'.
Azat Mardan wrote:
Ronald Borman wrote:I recently started reading this MEAP and (although it's still rough) I like it so far. The use of React without JSX in chapter 1 is good because it's shows the pain points that JSX addresses.

Regarding chapter 1 I have two comments.

Page 2 states that "React emerged from Instagram". I don't think that's true. React was an internal Facebook project, and used in several Facebook.com components like Ads. After Instagram was acquired and their web site had to be overhauled, React was chosen. See the talk by Tom Occhino and Jordan Walke (around 0:23:30): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XxVg_s8xAms.

Also on page 2, it is said that the Atom editor uses React. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. See https://github.com/atom/atom/pull/5624.

The link to GH is not showing anything... I search but didn't find anything on Atom not using React. Can you provide a new link please?

---

Azat, author of React Quickly

Like capouch said, it's the right link but you probably used it with the dot at the end. Try copying the link without the dot.

Based on that pull request, it looks like Atom is no longer using React internally. There are a couple of discussions on reddit and ycombinator, but that's it.

Regards, Ronald.
I recently started reading this MEAP and (although it's still rough) I like it so far. The use of React without JSX in chapter 1 is good because it's shows the pain points that JSX addresses.

Regarding chapter 1 I have two comments.

Page 2 states that "React emerged from Instagram". I don't think that's true. React was an internal Facebook project, and used in several Facebook.com components like Ads. After Instagram was acquired and their web site had to be overhauled, React was chosen. See the talk by Tom Occhino and Jordan Walke (around 0:23:30): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XxVg_s8xAms.

Also on page 2, it is said that the Atom editor uses React. Unfortunately, that is no longer the case. See https://github.com/atom/atom/pull/5624.
At the top of page 9 a reason for a rewrite is given: 'the Microservice does perform well enough in production'. I think that should be '... does not perform well enough...'.

On page 13 the 'strangler pattern' is briefly mentioned. Maybe you could elaborate somewhat (for example in a sidebar).

Overall, nice job! I'm looking forward to reading the second and third chapter.
Based on the (free) first chapter I decided to buy the MEAP and I do like what I see so far. The concept of facts, backed up with examples and references to API descriptions is pleasant to read.

jQuery UI was added at the end of a project at work (only using the dialog and tabs widgets), and because of time constraints the experience was somewhat frustrating. Reading the first chapters already gave me a few 'aha' moments.

For now I only found a single error in the code. At the end of page 36 an example is repeated which shows the use of the event parameter 'ui', but this parameter is not declared in the function definition above.

Regards, Ronald.
I was pleased to receive a message from Manning that with a renewed focus 'Web Components in Action' will have new and updated content in a few weeks.

Two suggestions come to mind:
- can chapter 6 'Using Polymer (or other libraries)' also contain some information about the approach AngularJS is taking with respect to Web Components?
- can there be some guidelines (tricks, traps etc) for using Web Components/Polymer specifically in Internet Explorer (because although not many developers like IE, in Corporate Development it is a major factor)?

Regards,

Ronald