The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Correction, did not gt any with a 10-mile buffer, 1st one came in at 13 miles.
Bottom of p27: I had to increase buffer to 18 miles before I got 3 Hardee's nr US Route 1 (I only got 1 with a 10 mile buffer).
Hi, I'm learning a lot; some feedback from early part of ch1:

Bottom of p14, 'vanacular' should be 'vernacular'
Bottom of p19, 'through fare' should be 'thoroughfare'
First word in 1.4.4 - 'Alas' injects some black humour, but I suspect it's probably meant to be 'At last'

SQL at bottom of p23 incorrect, if earlier instructions have been followed. I got it to work with a series of queries similar to this, one for each franchise:

INSERT INTO ch01.restaurants (franchise, geom)
SELECT 'BKG'
, ST_Transform(
ST_GeomFromText('POINT(' || lon || ' ' || lat || ')', 4269)
, 2163) As geom
FROM ch01.restaurants_staging
WHERE franchise = 'b';

Listing 1.6 incorrect, if earlier instructions have been followed. I got it to work as follows:
SELECT f.franchise
, COUNT(DISTINCT r.id) As total --
FROM ch01.restaurants As r
INNER JOIN ch01.lu_franchises As f ON r.franchise = f.id
INNER JOIN ch01.highways As h ON ST_DWithin(r.geom, h.geom, 1609) --
GROUP BY f.franchise
ORDER BY total DESC;

However the code downloads seems a more logical way to name fields than the system used in the pdf.

Also the results of this query at top of p27 seem incomplete - there shd also be results for Hardee (1077), Jack in the Box (509), Carl's Jr (224) and In-N-Out (44).

Hope this helps

Pat Maslen