The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

v6 of the MEAP edition contains p.161 in the resource contention chapter contains a note about contentions at the OS level, suggesting either virtualization or single worker per node configurations.

An alternative way may come from resource management frameworks, either the one provided by YARN or by container-based execution environment such as Docker or Apache Mesos, to at least control allocated memory and CPU resources.

As anyone already tried one of these ones and has feedback to provide?
I have just started reading the available chapters, here are my first comments:

p.18 : <<1.2 Classify the ten examples given in section 1.1.2 into the categories given in section 1.1.3. Remember than an example can fit into more than one category. >> :
should be <.. in section 1.1.1 into ... in section 1.1.2 ...>

Figure 1.4: the glass is hiding what it is magnifying

Table of Content: this would really really be helpful for my Sony Reader, which is quite slow to browse through an ebook. Also some of the figures are destroyed during the convertion to the Sony Reader format, but I suppose it would be difficult for you to test and debug, and may not be your or Manning's top priority.
In the latest version the target directory for the input file should actually be: <osesbinaction_home_diresbmule-2.0.2chapter3inbox >

The book has not been updated with these steps, and I had troubles running the examples. Fortunately reading it with the help of this forum will make things easier.
Related to Digest Authentication, although my remarks are independent of the previous post:

In the example given, the nonce cache of the server is shared across the different consumers of the service. Doesn't this mean that nonce collision could occur between different consumers of the service, or even if the same consumer tries to authenticates multiple times in the same time frame (referred as "timeoutInSeconds" in the example) since there is no client cache?

If the generation of the nonce was made by the server (this would require 2 requests by the consumer, the first one to retrieve this nonce), would it be a solution to this collision problem?
1) Thanks Dierk, I read about it but forgot it... But it I still don't see how it is useful in this case.

2) Sorry I still don't get it. What would be the difference between a non-existent field and a non-existent property? Could you please show an example where getProperty and setProperty wouldn't be enough, and get/set would be required?
I am digging this topic out as the question about the distinction between get/set and getProperty/setProperty is coming back to my mind, and continues to embarrass me. I never knows which of the two methods to use.

What could been be implemented using only getProperty/setProperty that would justify the existence of get/set?
> 2) you can have a property without having a field
> that backs it, e.g. having only a getter like Date
> getDate() { return new Date() } and you can have
> fields without having getters/setters to it (thus no
> property).

Sure, but I still can't figure out how the get/getProperty distinction would help.
Here are a few questions that come to my mind while reading GinA.

* In section 6.2.4 page 165, in listing 6.7, in the definition of the regular expression 'host', I don't understand why there is '*?' ini the sequence. Wouldn't '*' be enough?

* I can't get the point in implementing the methods get and set, as described in section 7.4.4. How do they differ from getProperty and setProperty, apart from being masked when these latter methods are defined?
catalan42: thanks. Perhaps an errata should be created if not already done.
Page 74, footnote 9 refers to section 8.2.4 about Writer.write(), which doesn't exist. I'm not sure which section it should be instead.
I have finally received the book here in France a few days ago from Amazon, so I am submitting errata as I come across them.

A minor one p. 34 in the foot note: 'The Groovy truth' is described in section 6.1, not 6.7.