lawrieg (3) [Avatar] Offline
I really enjoyed the book when I read it a while ago, and found it incredibly useful when trying to put together the build files for a project with several sub/child projects.

However, I know there are features in Ant 1.6 that I could use to greatly improve my build files (e.g. import task), but a brief read through the "New Ant 1.6 Features for Big Projects" article has left me wondering where to start, and also seemed to have left a couple of things out, like dealing with inter-dependencies. Therefore I was wondering if you had any advice to offer on this, and also if might know where I could find a sample build file that uses these new features to good effect?

Thanks in advance,
Lawrie.
ErikHatcher (211) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Sample build file using Ant 1.6 features for sub/child projects?
Lawrie - I'm a bit out of the Ant loop myself, so I'm going to leave this one to Steve who is working on JDwA 2nd edition. You'd do well to ask questions on the Ant user list also as really it's only Steve and I replying here regarding issues specific to the book.
steve_l (100) [Avatar] Offline
yes, there is more stuff to do there.

Can I point you at a presentation: Meeting new Challenges with Ant1.7.

http://www.1060.org/blogxter/resources/5/ant-1.7.pdf

Ant1.7 is better at <import> than ant1.6, but most of the stuff is there. Look also at the Ivy and Maven2 Ant tasks for file dependencies.

Now, on the subject of Sample build files, I only have some scary stuff that I do at work, which is all hosted on sourceforge.

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/smartfrog/core/

If you look at most of the components/*/build.xml builds, we extend core/common.xml and override very minimally.

-steve
lawrieg (3) [Avatar] Offline
Many thanks for the info - I've had a quick look at the "Meeting new Challenges with Ant1.7" presentation and it has certainly given me food for thought. It has also really whetted my appetite for both Ant 1.7 and the 2nd edition of JDwA, so I hope I haven't got too long to wait...

Lawrie.