The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

edgar (1) [Avatar] Offline
Dear Daniel Selman,

I'm a German student and am currently writing a Java3D program for my Masters thesis. However, I have encountered a problem with Java3D: My program is supposed to divide a three-dimensional space into several regions which are limited by faces starting at the center point of a sphere and going to infinity.

I actually need to know where those faces intersect with the sphere (so the faces should not exceed the border of the sphere). In the final 3D image, the user should be able to see the spatial distribution on the sphere (a Voronoi diagram on the surface of the sphere).

My question is: Is it possible to solve this problem graphically w/ Java3D? Unfortunately, I did not find a solution to it in your book "JAVA 3D programming". I would be grateful for any helpful hints or suggestions.

Thank you in advance,
Edgar
dselman (104) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Voronoi diagram on sphere
Edgar,

I don't think there is anything in Java 3D that will specifically help you with this. Try a book like:

http://maven.smith.edu/~orourke/books/compgeom.html