The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

dcoppock (1) [Avatar] Offline
Like several others who have commented, I am finding the book very well written and extremely helpful. Just got the book three days ago.

I have reached IEPOK, set up a virtual directory, confirmed download:

Csmilierogram FilesMicrosoft.NETSDKv2.0>gacutil /ldl
Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility. Version 2.0.50215.44
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

The cache of downloaded files contains the following entries:
poker, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

Number of items = 1

Csmilierogram FilesMicrosoft.NETSDKv2.0>

From IEPok.html, when I click the Deal button, absolutely nothing happens.
I am on Windows XP, have experimented with numerous settings in Internet Options from IE 6, including adding //localhost to TrustedSites, all to no avail.

Has anyone else had and corrected this problem?

I added alerts in the Cards() function as follows:
function Cards()
{
if (Btn.value == "Deal")
{
alert("arrived Before machine.Deal()...");
Hand = machine.Deal();
alert("arrived After machine.Deal()...");
The 2nd alert never happens.
Thanks.
Doug Coppock
debraK (1) [Avatar] Offline
Re: A Different IEPOK Problem(no evidence SimpleMachine is being reached)
Hello,
I'm having this same problem. Originally, I was having the "Object doesn't support this property or method" problem documented in the Feb. 2002 posting and tried all of the fixes noted there (as well as in later postings) with no success.
Then, after I cleared my temporary internet files, the problem is manifesting in this way.
I'm very new to Web software development (which is why I'm following this book), so I'd appreciate the "dumbed down" answer to this issue.
What I'm running: Windows XP Professional, Internet Explorer v6.0.29..., Xpress edition of MS .Net v2.0 (beta 2), and I'm running the code downloaded from your website on 10/12/05. Also, I was able to get SimPok to run just fine (but not ComPok..just decided to move on!)
Thanx for your help!
Debra
keviv (1) [Avatar] Offline
Re: A Different IEPOK Problem(no evidence SimpleMachine is being reached)
I having the same problem too.

i am using explorer 6.0 on Windows XP Professional.
Dotnet Veraion 2.0 (beta)
The URL i use to access the webpage is http://localhost/DotNet/IEPok/iepok.html

The page comes up ( i see 5 images of the back of the cards ) , but when i click on the Deal button, nothing happens except "Error on Page" shows at the bottom.

I searched all the other posts and tried some of the fixes others have mentioned but nothing has worked so far.

I can see the dll in the download cache using the gacutil command (pasted below) but i can that doesn;t tell me anything.

BTW, its a very good book , very clear and concise . A great help.

<<
C:>gacutil /ldl
Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility. Version 2.0.50215.44
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

The cache of downloaded files contains the following entries:
poker, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null

Number of items = 1

C:>
>>