The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

barry1927 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

Congrats on excellent book!

I have followed your book source examples and am trying to avoid using Visual Studio at the beginning so have downloaded the .Net SDK.

I got geared up to run the sample source code but have got into a catch 22 in trying to compile the downloaded samples - maybe other readers have experienced the same problem? Please can you help?

if I run nmake in ..pokerdll then I get error message U1077 saying csc not recognised.

if I change the makefile to add the full path to csc (using Visual studio C++) I get error message saying U1033 - syntax error : ':' unexpected

if I omit "/t:library" it seems to compile - but no poker.dll created!

..pokerdll makefile:
---------------------

poker.dll: bank.cs \r
bet.cs \r
card.cs \r
hand.cs \r
machine.cs \r
msglog.cs \r
simplemachine.cs

c:windowsmicrosoft.netframeworkv2.0.40607csc /t:library /out:poker.dll \r
bank.cs \r
bet.cs \r
card.cs \r
hand.cs \r
machine.cs \r
msglog.cs \r
simplemachine.cs

MSDN says U1033 can be caused if the makefile has been formatted by a word processor - but what other option do folk have?

I know this is a "silly" question and with the number of years software experience I have I should really sort myself out! Any suggestions warmly welcomed!

Barry
barry1927 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Probs compiling sample source
Oh dear! I seem to have found the answer to my own question...

If I change :library to arget:library in the makefile then csc (with a full path added) compiles just fine!