The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

kisner_jh (5) [Avatar] Offline
Iain, I'm a computer science major at West Virginia Wesleyan College and I am creating a local network instant messaging program that will also use encryption for a senior project. I would like to ask you if I may modify/use portions of your source code in my project and cite material from your book in my paper?

Also, I'm new to The Jabber Protocols and using encryption with them, and in general; if you have any suggestions, or anything at all that could be helpful, please let me know.

Thank you
Jeremy Kisner
iain (56) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Permission for use
Hi,

You're more than welcome to use the source code from the book for whatever purposes you desire. The only caveat is to not use my name (or the book) in advertizements or hold me responsible for the software's operation. smilie

I do have a suggestion though. The book source is simplistic, lacks a lot of error checking that production software should have, etc because it was written specifically to supplement the book text. For operational software, I highly recommend the Smack client library, and the Messenger server; both from Jive Software. I worked at Jive and wrote most of the Messenger server and helped with the design of Smack. Both are free and open source:

http://www.jivesoftware.com/xmpp/smack/ - Smack
http://www.jivesoftware.org - Messenger

They'll form a much better foundation for any research you may want to do in IM. Best wishes

-iain
kisner_jh (5) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for your quick response. I have been looking at the Jabber libraries written for Java and I think Smack is the one I'll be leaning towards.

I am planning on writting my own server (a small basic one) made specifically for the client I'm coding in order for everything to work on a LAN. So, I don't think Jive Messenger will be something that I can use. However, when the 2.0 version comes out, with it's open source, that may help me out.

I'm still basically in the research phase of this project...
iain (56) [Avatar] Offline
Great. Messenger should be open sourced in the next few weeks. However, I totally understand about writing something small and purpose built. Best of luck and hope to hear more as things progress.

-iain