nkale (4) [Avatar] Offline
Now that Ant 1.6 has been released, are there any plans to publish another edition of this excellent book? The new features would probably change the way we write build files.
ErikHatcher (211) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Next edition of Java Dev with Ant?
That's an excellent (and painful) question. Steve and I have considered writing a new edition. At this point in time, we do not have any concrete plans and any potential new edition would at the earliest not be done until late 2005.

I have, however, been writing. My co-authored Lucene in Action book will be out soon smilie
steve_l (100) [Avatar] Offline
Not for a while, put it that way. Ant1.7 or later; assuming we ship ant1.7 this year.

If you look at what has changed, its in the big project section; imports, presets and macros. That will be one of the sections that gets revised, and I'm sure. I am making some more changes of ant right now that will need documenting. But they will make your life better.

I am also still trying to work out how best to use the import stuff. I think some things in 1.7 will be damage limitation, like scoping "final, private" etc, to stop uncontrolled overrides.
lumpynose (4) [Avatar] Offline
Is there a page or something somewhere that shows how to set up sub/child projects with the new ant stuff? I found a page on Oracle's web site by Stefan Bodewig but its descriptions didn't seem to cover all the bases the way the book's does; i.e., interdependencies.
steve_l (100) [Avatar] Offline
1. I am currently working on the next edition, expect it much later this year. it will target Ant1.7

2. email me at steve.loughran at gmail.com and I will send you some slides that will look at some of the impact of the ant1.6 and 1.7 changes, import and presetdef among them.

-steve