The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

shivkpr (30) [Avatar] Offline
hi, i'm going though your book and on page 73 you show the catalog.jsp

this seems to be different to whats in the archive
the archive shows custom tags _stl. please include source code for building simple tags as shown from page
66 - 75

thanks
shivkpr (30) [Avatar] Offline
Re: catalog jsp for building simple tags
I would also be honured if you could include the show cart for the same set of pages.

am i going though this book in too much detail . have other people found same probs
nford (36) [Avatar] Offline
The one in the archive is the one that eventually appears on page 85 - 86, incorporating both my custom tags and JSTL tags. The narrative is leading towards the finished version on 86, so the archive for the chapter doesn't include some of the intermediate versions.

The actual custom tag code is the same for the entire set of code in the archive -- the 2 tags built in the course of the chapter never change.

If you want to re-create the page from page 73, take the Catalog.jsp page from the previous chapter and replace the lengthy scriptlet code with the custom tags.
nford (36) [Avatar] Offline
Similarly, the ShowCart page in the archive is the same one from page 82, which is the culmination of the narrative point of the chapter. I'm building towards the best version fo the sample that I can create with a combination of JSP and custom tags, and that includes the JSTL code you see on pages 82 and 85.

I certainly don't think you are going through it in too much detail (I'm the author, so I don't think that is possible!). Hoever, some of the samples should be viewed as intermediate steps, building towards a goal. The danger in a book like mine, that shows the evolution of architecture, is that people will think that the illustrative samples (that show why a new architecture is needed) will be taken as "best practices". In fact, some of my technical reviwers were concerned that people might think that they should write applications using only servlets because it appears in the first part of my book. However, you can't really understand why something like Model 2 is important until you see what it supplants.