The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

buffalobillion (20) [Avatar] Offline
Enjoy the book--I find it comprehensive and written with the right approach to web app issues surrounding the open source community.

Just wanted your opinion (as well as anyone else's) on a heavyweight framework not covered in your book. A project I am starting work on is leaning towards an XMLC/Barracuda approach. I'm thinking that Tapestry may be a better choice. I'm basing this decision on what you call "critical mass" in your book: (a) I've scanned the mail archives for both projects and there is a lot more traffic at Tapestry's, and (b) the only book I can find on XMLC is out of print. I am wondering what your opinion of Barracuda is. Did you make a conscious decision to exclude it? Has anyone else out there had experience using it?
nford (36) [Avatar] Offline
Re: Barracuda framework
The only real experience I've had with XMLC was with the Lutris Application Server, which is no more. I haven't used Barracuda, and didn't include it in the book because of the very reasons you mention -- there didn't seem to be a lot of ctiical mass around it.

That shouldn't be viewed as a non-endorsement of the framework -- I'm really not qualified either way. However, there are lots of technically superior products/frameworks/other stuff that don't survive because they couldn't attract enough of a following. See the BeOS for a good example.