The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

import-bot (20211) [Avatar] Offline
#1
[Originally posted by jconwell]

Hi Mr. Grimes,
I just wanted to say thanks for writing this book. I've only just finished
chapter two and i cant stop playing and extending the compiler example you
gave. I've got a pretty extensive little calculator language compiler going
on. And my understanding of IL and the Emit namespace is really good. Thanks
again for this book. I hope the other chapters inspire me to dig as deep into
the topic namespace and write such fun code.
Thanks,
John
import-bot (20211) [Avatar] Offline
#2
Re: Great example in chapter 2
[Originally posted by fgrimes]

Hi John,

>> I just wanted to say thanks for writing this book.

You're welcome.

>> I've only just finished chapter two and i cant stop playing
>> and extending the compiler example you gave. I've got a
>> pretty extensive little calculator language compiler going
>> on.

Sounds promising. Are you familiar with Forth? (Most Forth programmers are
retired or deceased!) While developing the compiler example for the book, I
considered implementing a tiny subset of Forth. However, I couldn't make it
fit in the chapter.

Forth is a stack-based language which uses postfix notation, like some
calculators. It would be an ideal, and enjoyable, challenge to implement a
.NET Forth system. I don't think anyone has done this yet. Just a thought...
in case you're interested.

>> Thanks again for this book.

Don't forget to tell your friends...
Fergal
import-bot (20211) [Avatar] Offline
#3
Re: Great example in chapter 2
[Originally posted by fgrimes]

John,

>> It would be an ideal, and enjoyable, challenge
>> to implement a .NET Forth system. I don't think
>> anyone has done this yet.

Oooops... looks like I'm mistaken. See http://www.dataman.ro/dforth/ for
Delta Forth .NET.

Fergal