The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Dane Hillard (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hello there!

This is my first progress update, and as you might guess I'm excited to announce that Code Like a Pro: Software Development in Python is now available through Manning's early access program! It's exciting to see the last few months of writing, sweat, and anxious pacing culminate into something I can finally share with you.

This initial release contains three chapters. They provide a good path for where this book is leading, and I'll keep you updated in this forum topic as more content becomes available. Please feel free to comment here with general inquiries about each MEAP installment and the book as a whole; I will try to organize some topics around specific types of questions and feedback if I see obvious patterns.

Chapter 1 covers what software design is and why it’s such a valuable process. I also cover some history on Python in the larger landscape of software development and what trajectory it’s currently on. This will frame things nicely as you move into some real parts of the design process. Appendix A covers the installation of Python on your computer so that you will be able to follow along with the examples in the upcoming chapters.

Chapter 2 covers one of the foundational aspects of software development—separation of concerns. I cover the tools and conventions Python already has to help you, as well as some techniques you can master to keep it all straight as your software grows.

Chapter 3 introduces another defining feature of software design—abstraction. You’ll learn what the tools and process of abstraction are and when to wield them. This is a concept you’ll use again and again, so I recommend spending some quality time here. In the chapters ahead I’ll introduce some additional design concepts and considerations, reinforced with examples and practice.

I truly look forward to your feedback; the foremost goal of this book is to teach you some valuable stuff. Send me a note (or a scathing subtweet) to let me know how I can serve you best!

Cheers,

Dane