The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

ForumJason (8) [Avatar] Offline
I started reading the book with an Ubuntu 18.04 installation, but I stumbled mightily when trying to get LXC to work (an issue with GPG keys, but none of the online solutions worked). My only guess is that with 18.04, LXD is preferred.

I switched to Ubuntu 16.04 and the instructions in the book worked out of the box for LXC.

Can you indicate what version(s) of Ubuntu or other Linux distros you tested with the book, so that I may have smooth sailing as I gain my Linux chops?
David Clinton (92) [Avatar] Offline
I haven't seen anything like that - I've successfully used LXC on 18.04 but, as you note, you don't seem to be the first person to encounter this. While LXC is a fantastic environment, you'll probably want to move to LXD at some point. Besides the network administration features, you can create containers out of a huge range of distros and versions from the command line:
lxc launch images:centos/7/amd64 container-name1
lxc launch ubuntu:18.04 base container-name2

There might well be other version-dependent tools used in the book, but I'm afraid I can't think of any right now. Feel free to ping me any time you have trouble.
Good luck,
David