557313 (12) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Milan,

I liked Chapter 6 "Working with abstract data using derived types". Your introduction to derived types in Fortran and how they related to object oriented programming makes good sense to me. I liked the mix of the continuing tsunami example and the "Person" type as a simpler example. Since derived types are a more complicated topic, it is very helpful to have two different examples in your explanation for comparison of the syntax and to reinforce the commonalities.

In the code listings I like the format with the numbers in circles after the code lines which are then explained below the listing to give more explanation. I feel that format is working well. Likewise,the figures have a good format to explain syntax and code with arrows to more information.

There may be an incomplete sentence at the end of section 6.2.6:
"such as calculating start and end indices of the data array, allocating"

This is the last sentence in that section, before section 6.2.7. Did that sentence get truncated?

Looking forward to the next chapter.
Regards, Greg
Milan Curcic (42) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Greg,

Thank you!

Yes, indeed, that sentence was not caught before getting into MEAP. The sentence should read:

"Inside the constructor function, we’ll have the chance to do all the necessary prep work, such as calculating start and end indices of the data array, allocating the array in memory, and initializing its values."

Cheers,
milan