The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

630488 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Anthony,

I have read 1st edition from company library and I would like to say it's really good. I just bought 2nd edition MEAP. After quickly browsing it, it seems to me that the book does contain new stuffs, e.g. chapter 10. Except that, however, I haven't found significant changes yet. Some part, for example, appendix A still uses C++11 in title, which gives me a feeling that it is not updated. Do you have an estimate how many contents are really new?

Thanks.
Madhusudhan Srikkanth (7) [Avatar] Offline
Having read both the books, I can say that Chapter 4 & Chapter 10 are the only major differences. Apart from that there is very few additional material :

Chapter 1 and 2 are almost the same except for some small trivia like automatic class template parameter deduction being supported in C++17 and stuff.

In Chapter 3 std::scoped_lock is mentioned as a better alternative to std::lock and there is also revision to code to reflect this. There is also an introduction to std::shared_mutex which was introduced in C++17 and an example of how this can be used to solve Multiple Reader- Single Writer problem though this doesn't effectively solve the Writer starvation problem.

In Chapter 4, there is a significant change (about 12 new pages) where he introduces Concurrency features in TS like std::experimental_future, std::experimental_shared_future, continuations using then, waiting for all futures and waiting for any future. He also has a section on std::experimental::latch, std::experimental::barrier and std::experimental::flex_barrier.

Chapters 5,6,7,8 & 9 are the same.

Chapter 10 is new which covers parallel algorithms introduced in C++17.

Chapter 11 is the same.

So if you have the 1st edition then you can just read up on all of this @cppreference.com. I would add that Anthony has explained continuations the best way anyone can. So learning from the book would make it much easier to handle.

If you don't have the first edition, this book is 'A MUST BUY'.
472983 (3) [Avatar] Offline
There are minor changes/fix as well, the one for e.g in Ch. 5

"
Note how the zero-length bit field bf3
(the name is commented out because zero-length bit fields must be unnamed) sepa-
rates bf4 into its own memory location, but doesn't have a memory location itself.
"

is not mentioned in 1 edition.

Overall, IMO it's a good read end-to-end smilie