The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Rhywun (27) [Avatar] Offline
I'm sure this isn't a problem with the supplied source code, but I wanted to see if the author or other users had found a solution.

The problem is every time I open a playground in Xcode, after an hour or so Xcode hangs when I attempt to move to another page in the playground, and I have to force quit. The playground is forever unusable after that point because the same happens if I reopen Xcode and switch to the same page. It has happened in both ch02 and ch03 so far.

I found one suggestion online to change the playground's platform from iOS to macOS - which did help briefly in ch03. But the same problem came back after returning to this playground a few days later. I also set all my playgrounds to run manually but that doesn't help either.

At this point, I have no confidence that Xcode will be usable for me. I've seen lots of complaints about this issue and nothing from Apple.

Update as I was composing this post: now Xcode is totally unusable because it reloads the (corrupted?) playground every time. Oh well!

Any ideas? Thanks

Xcode 10.1
macOS Mojave v10.14.2
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017)
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Tjeerd in 't Veen (23) [Avatar] Offline
For some people, playgrounds can hang. I experience the same issues. You don't want to know how often I had to kill and restart Xcode while I was setting up the playgrounds files smilie

I can recommend manual mode still (works a bit better for me), and sometimes removing "import UIKit" saves some framework loading time, making it a bit snappier.

Unfortunately, I can't help more with making playgrounds faster, I recommend heading over to the official swift forums (http://forums.swift.org/) and ask for help from Apple's engineers.