Guy Sperry (2) [Avatar] Offline
I totally get that not everyone is toting around enough horsepower to fun Fusion as it is installed with 4.1. With AI, Spark, and SQL examples yet to come, it makes even more sense to think about maybe using someone else's compute to do these examples. If you have a powerhouse gaming rig, or a workstation class machine, then I'm sure you'll be alright. For the rest of us compute paupers, I recommend looking into using AWS or GCP. I'll put some details here for AWS and follow up in a couple weeks with another post for GCP.

Signing up for a free AWS account is quick and easy. You can do so here: https://aws.amazon.com/free/. Be aware that even though the account is free, you will have to register with a credit card and running a VM to do the exercises will incur costs. However, the cost is reasonable and certainly much cheaper than a machine with the minimum specs to run Fusion.

With your validated AWS account, you can login to the EC2 console and proceed through the wizard to launch a VM. I recommend a Ubuntu Server 18.04 LTS (ami-0f65671a86f061fcd). For the examples in Chapters 1-4, a t2.xlarge size should work. I will update here later if better spec is needed for later chapters. Make sure you create and download your keypair. Then launch the VM.

Now you should have a machine you can access via ssh. This will make the examples easy. You can follow along with the Ubuntu/Linux instructions in the examples using a shell on your local machine, yet still have the power to run Fusion at a reasonable cost.

Let me know if you have any issues or if I can better clarify anything here.