The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

bangbing (4) [Avatar] Offline
When I read chapter 8, I can quickly get the purposes and differences of the first 3 header types based on the explanation:
1: Already in the tables
2: Not entirely in the table yet, please add it to the dynamic table.
3: Not entirely in the table, and don't add it to the dynamic table.

However, I personally feel the explanation of the 4th type "never indexed" is a bit brief and unclear, especially the first sentence mentioning "any subsequent re-encoding" seems to be quite abstract.

After read the corresponding part in RFC and some online discussion, I realize this type is specific to enforce the header encoding behavior of intermediaries. Maybe explaining the difference between type 4 and 3 using an example would benefit readers' understanding.
Barry Pollard (24) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks. Will review the text to try to make it a bit clearer.

Keep 'em coming!