The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

glennlewis (2) [Avatar] Offline
First off, thank you for this book! I'm very excited to read and learn!

I've been learning Flutter over the last few months organically by using it then looking things up when I get stuck.
As a result, I have no clue as to what I don't know.

One thing I have learned, though, is to improve my development environment, so I thought I would share that with this forum so that this message wasn't simply "thank you for the book". smilie

I started with Android Studio, and quickly sought and found the "Format on Save" feature which I really liked from my Go development environment as a means of dramatically improving my productivity. I also loved the ability to wrap Widgets and remove Widgets from within the IDE.

Then a coworker suggested that I give VSCode a try and now I'm not going back. It feels super responsive and with the plugins I've installed, I feel quite productive.

I thought I would share a list of the VSCode plugins I use that I really like:

• Dart 2.18.0 by "Dart Code"

• dart-import 0.1.0 by Luan

• Flutter 2.18.0 by "Dart Code"

• Sort lines 1.7.0 by Daniel Imms

• and my User settings look like this:

{
        "window.zoomLevel": 1,
        "files.trimTrailingWhitespace": true,
        "explorer.confirmDragAndDrop": false,
        "typescript.updateImportsOnFileMove.enabled": "always",
        "editor.formatOnSave": true,
        "editor.rulers": [
        ],
        "workbench.statusBar.visible": true,
        "editor.tabSize": 2,
        "editor.minimap.enabled": false,
        "workbench.activityBar.visible": true,
        "explorer.confirmDelete": false,
        "dart.flutterSelectDeviceWhenConnected": false,
        "dart.showLintNames": true,
        "breadcrumbs.enabled": true
    }

Hopefully this post will help someone else get up and running quickly with VSCode and Flutter, which I highly recommend. (Even if you are a die-hard Emacs user like myself!)
    ericwindmill (5) [Avatar] Offline
    Glenn, thank YOU!

I'm a pretty diehard Intellij user, but I used to be all about VSCode when I mainly wrote JavaScript.

But anyways, since I mainly use Intellij now, it's legitimately very helpful to see some recommendations from a VS Code user.

Thanks!

glennlewis wrote:First off, thank you for this book! I'm very excited to read and learn!

I've been learning Flutter over the last few months organically by using it then looking things up when I get stuck.
    As a result, I have no clue as to what I don't know.

One thing I have learned, though, is to improve my development environment, so I thought I would share that with this forum so that this message wasn't simply "thank you for the book". smilie

I started with Android Studio, and quickly sought and found the "Format on Save" feature which I really liked from my Go development environment as a means of dramatically improving my productivity. I also loved the ability to wrap Widgets and remove Widgets from within the IDE.

Then a coworker suggested that I give VSCode a try and now I'm not going back. It feels super responsive and with the plugins I've installed, I feel quite productive.

I thought I would share a list of the VSCode plugins I use that I really like:

• Dart 2.18.0 by "Dart Code"

• dart-import 0.1.0 by Luan

• Flutter 2.18.0 by "Dart Code"

• Sort lines 1.7.0 by Daniel Imms

• and my User settings look like this:

{
        "window.zoomLevel": 1,
        "files.trimTrailingWhitespace": true,
        "explorer.confirmDragAndDrop": false,
        "typescript.updateImportsOnFileMove.enabled": "always",
        "editor.formatOnSave": true,
        "editor.rulers": [
        ],
        "workbench.statusBar.visible": true,
        "editor.tabSize": 2,
        "editor.minimap.enabled": false,
        "workbench.activityBar.visible": true,
        "explorer.confirmDelete": false,
        "dart.flutterSelectDeviceWhenConnected": false,
        "dart.showLintNames": true,
        "breadcrumbs.enabled": true
    }

Hopefully this post will help someone else get up and running quickly with VSCode and Flutter, which I highly recommend. (Even if you are a die-hard Emacs user like myself!)
    larryq (46) [Avatar] Offline
    Thanks for the configuration info, as a VSCode user myself this is going to be a big help.
    larryq (46) [Avatar] Offline
    Looks like I double-posted; *that's* how excited I am to have this VSCode configuration!