The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

import-bot (20211) [Avatar] Offline
[Originally posted by mc]

hello Authors:

i am a IT student. I wish to know more about the different
between WAP and XML. what i know about WAP was WAP is a web pages for mobile
phone and XML is for Intenet webspaces. Besides this can your send me your
homepages link, because i am a forgetfull person. Besides this i wish to
development a WAP Project can the Dyanamic WAP Application book assist me
inorder to complete
my project. My project specifications are order product by using WAP. Please
reply as soon as possible.
MC from Malaysia.
waitely (1) [Avatar] Offline
Re: confused between XML and WAP
XML and WML both use the same markup / language. If you know XML, you know WML - and vice versa.

However, XML is intentionally developed for computers, or other devices with larger screens. WML is developed for smaller-screened devices, such as PDA's and cell phones.

Regardless, most devices, small or large screen'ed, now accept both formats of the XML language without complaining - but users may notice a difference in layout.

On the technical side of things, WML standards branch off XML standards (which determine how things should be layed out on a screen or other display) - making the standards relatively different. WML is placed in WML-type documents ("file.wml"), as XML is placed in XML-type documents ("file.xml").

WML documents should have a Document Type Declaration pointing to an WML standard, as XML documents should have a Document Type Declaration pointing to an XML standard.

Message was edited by:
waitely
newyorkdd (2) [Avatar] Offline
Re: confused between XML and WAP
About XML:

Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a set of rules for encoding documents in machine-readable form. It is defined in the XML 1.0 Specification produced by the W3C, and several other related specifications, all gratis open standards.

The design goals of XML emphasize simplicity, generality, and usability over the Internet. It is a textual data format with strong support via Unicode for the languages of the world. Although the design of XML focuses on documents, it is widely used for the representation of arbitrary data structures, for example in web services.

About WAP:

Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) is an open international standard. A WAP browser is a commonly used web browser for small mobile devices such as cell phones.

Message was edited by:
newyorkdd