Swift in Depth cover
welcome to this free extract from
an online version of the Manning book.
to read more
or

About this Book

Swift is a young language. At the time of writing, Swift has reached the fifth version and only recently turned ABI-stable. So why is this book in any position to tell you how to write your code?

You’d be right to be skeptical, but please bear with me. Even though Swift is relatively new, I think it’s fair to say that some solutions work better than others, which is even more essential to understand if you’re using Swift for real production apps.

Swift borrows a lot of important concepts from other programming languages, such as Haskell, Ruby, Rust, Python, C#, and others. Therefore, you’d be wise to keep an eye out for these concepts.

By mixing programming paradigms with real-world experience, this book shares some very fun and useful best practices you can instantly apply to your work.

Having programmed for over a decade in multiple languages and teams, I would like to share tips, tricks, and guidelines that helped my Swift career tremendously, and I want the same for you.

Why this book?

Honestly, a lot of software in this world runs on “ugly” code, and that is completely normal. If your product does what it needs to do, that is—like it or not—good enough for businesses.

As a developer, you have to make sure your product works and works well. But your users won’t look under the hood and point out ugly if statements. Perfectionism is harmful to software development and the cause to large numbers of unfinished projects.

Is this book for you?

What this book is not

A big emphasis on practical scenarios

Roadmap

About the code

Book forum

About the author

About the cover illustration

sitemap