The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

558379 (7) [Avatar] Offline
I took me sometime to differentiate between these keywords in Chapter 2.

From what I understand,

ReactDOM.reander return ReactComponent (the virtual DOM)
React.createElement return ReactElement (either ReactDOMElement or ReactComponentElement)

At first, the text explain clearly the definition, then the use of keywords during explanation and comparison get mixed up

ReactDOMElement -> react element
ReactComponentElement -> react component

which in fact both are elements, the Component Element are creating using class/function and have backing instance,
while DOM Element are created by specifying HTML tag string and no backing instance

I wish the author would revised and correct the chapter, I suggest changing the subheading below
2.2.2 Creating React DOM Element
2.2.3 Creating React Component Element
And make sure the address the keywords mixed up mentioned above
mark (60) [Avatar] Offline
Hey there! Sorry for the confusion. The terminology changed pretty substantially between versions of React and over the years, so I understand why there could be be confusion. To clarify: components are "made from" elements. Components are how you group bits of your UI, and there are different types of components you can use (stateful and stateless).
mark (60) [Avatar] Offline
*forgot to add: in your day to day w/ React, those are all I'd worry about in terms of types (ReactDOMElements vs ReactComponent etc.)