The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Campbell Ritchie (88) [Avatar] Offline
Page 29: it says that apt is installed by default; maybe you should say on Ubuntu or on Debian; on the following page you show that RedHat/CentOS/Fedora uses rpm/yum/dnf instead.
Page 33 calls Redhat “less social”. I know it is much shyer than Ubuntu, which is positively brash and extravert, but, has that shyness anything to do with Redhat's insistence on only putting 100% pukka open‑source stuff in their repos?
Page 33 (bottom) shows the acceptance of a PGP key. What is likely to happen if you simply accept the PGP key without checking its fingerprint against a website?
David Clinton (92) [Avatar] Offline
Campbell Ritchie wrote:Page 29: it says that apt is installed by default; maybe you should say on Ubuntu or on Debian; on the following page you show that RedHat/CentOS/Fedora uses rpm/yum/dnf instead.

The connection between APT and "The manager" a bit later is a bit too close, I'll agree. But, especially since we're so close to publishing, I would say that "In the Linux world, package managers..." helps to separate the two.

Page 33 calls Redhat “less social”. I know it is much shyer than Ubuntu, which is positively brash and extravert, but, has that shyness anything to do with Redhat's insistence on only putting 100% pukka open‑source stuff in their repos?

smilie
I've heard other interpretations of Yum's choices, but I'll accept your positive spin. smilie

Page 33 (bottom) shows the acceptance of a PGP key. What is likely to happen if you simply accept the PGP key without checking its fingerprint against a website?

Good point.
Campbell Ritchie (88) [Avatar] Offline
David Clinton wrote:. . . I've heard other interpretations of Yum's choices . . . .
Hahahahahahahahaha!