385569 (12) [Avatar] Offline
Hi, I was trying to learn react to build my own components, but I look direct in the 4 chapter and I think that is missing a step by step, I saw the code and explanation but didn't explain how to create the test enviroment and how was create the code.
I look the sections before and looks like isn't the same example. I think it's better if have a component creation begin to end and how to use jest, because I saw applied but I don't know how, looks like it's missing explanation.
Zac Braddy (8) [Avatar] Offline
Hi there

Sorry you're having trouble following along with the course. I think the problem you may be having is that the course is sort of split into two parts, Units 1, 2 and 3 are fairly theory heavy but also have some light technical work to get you started. Then in Units 4 and 5 we really pick up the pace and do almost all technical stuff. I understand what you're trying to do by just jumping straight into the code but the course is written in such a way that all the technical stuff kind of relies on the knowledge you gain in the first 3 modules so if you've skipped over those then I can definitely see why you're having trouble.

If you really definitely don't want to hear about any of the theory of how to use React and just want to write code to build an app then I'd suggest that you do Module 2, in which we set up the React environment with create-react-app and build a hello world component. From there you could theoretically jump to Unit 4 and start coding.

You could do things this way if you'd prefer, it's your course to consume how you'd like, but I have to say I think you'd be missing out on a lot by skipping Unit 3.

If you have any other questions then feel free to drop me a line and I'll see what I can do to help.

Cheers
Zac
385569 (12) [Avatar] Offline
Hi, thank you for answer, I will go back to see If I miss something but I have that impression that is jumping from begginner to advanced.

I will watch all the vĂ­deos, but I watch some teory understand and when I saw an applied example, was too many details and I couldn't follow.
49916 (1) [Avatar] Offline
I think this is a great material, but for the theoretical chapters mostly. The practical part should rather be called Jest in Motion, since the main focus is on testing, but the actual React practices are explained only briefly and I had to figure most of the things for myself.