›› Frederic ‹‹ (4) [Avatar] Offline
I think the following sentence in chapter 2.1.1 needs some clarification for readers not too familiar with Node.js/NPM:
After you’ve created it, open your terminal, navigate to your new folder, and initialize the Node.js application. After your app is initialized, install the claudia-api-builder module from NPM as a package dependency, as explained in appendix A.

This should rather be something along
After you’ve created it, open your terminal, navigate to your new folder, and initialize the Node.js application using `npm init`. This will create a configuration file for Node.js' package manager NPM, where all future dependencies will be stored. After your app is initialized, install the claudia-api-builder module from NPM as a package dependency, as explained in appendix A.

Slobodan Stojanovic (7) [Avatar] Offline
Hey, thanks for the suggestion and for reading our book!

Manning has certain rules for the books they are publishing. One of those rules is defining "minimal qualified reader" (I don't like that phrase), which means that before you start writing the book, you need to define what your readers must know to be able to follow the content of the book.

The initial version of the text was similar to your suggestion, but as we stated that our readers should be comfortable with Node.js, we had to remove that and few other things that our readers should know.

I understand that the current version of this sentence can be more clear (and there might be a few more of them), but the only thing we can do at this point is to ask you to use this forum whenever you see something that is not 100% clear, and we'll do our best to clarify it.

P.S. We would be very happy to hear your feedback for our book. If you have a few minutes after reading it, please tell us what do you think about it. You can do that via Amazon or Good Reads rating, or simply by tweeting to us (@slobodan_ and @simalexan).

Thanks,
Slobodan
›› Frederic ‹‹ (4) [Avatar] Offline
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I've been using Node.js for ages and I'm also contributor, but even I was stumbling upon that sentence.
(Since technically, you don't initialize your Node.js app but just the package manager setup.)

You could also remove the initializing part from the sentence altogether and explain it in Appendix A together with installing npm packages (the official spelling of "npm" is lowercase).
Slobodan Stojanovic (7) [Avatar] Offline
Ok, good point. I'll suggest that to our copy editor, and we'll fix it for the next release (and for a print version).

Thanks again,
Slobodan
welkie (26) [Avatar] Offline
Just wanted to provide some feedback on the "minimal qualified reader" thing. I'm really enjoying the pace of the book. I do have extensive Node.js experience, so being able to skip the things I already know keeps me engaged. I was able to power through a few chapters in one night and get a pretty good understanding of what Claudia is doing.