The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

berevoescu (7) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,
It seems that a lot (at least the ones I checked up to now) of the addresses in the book are not valid ETH addresses. I think the problem might be that they have all the alpha chars lower-cased. I managed to "fix" a couple of them, but it is a tedious process. Can you check and see what happens?

Thanks,
--bjh
RobertoI (29) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

you are right, I have written most addresses in lowercase, but most tools should interpret them correctly anyway. For example, Remix raises a warning but it should still process them correctly.

Can you please let me if any tool is not able to process them?

Thanks
I mainly use Remix right now and yes, it was a warning, but I did not get into this anymore, since I started to use my own generated addresses, rather than use the ones from the book (as I went on, I could not use the book example addresses anyway, as I started to check more involved scenarios).

Thanks,
--bjh
RobertoI (29) [Avatar] Offline
I have noticed that since Solidity version 0.4.25 addresses incorrectly formatted (for example addresses that are in full lowercase) will give a breaking error. I am in the process of updating the SimpleCoin examples with correct addresses (which pass the checksum). If you do get a warning or an error because you are hard-coding an address all in lowercase in the editor, a trick to get the correct address is to enter the incorrect one (for example: 0x14723a09acff6d2a60dcdf7aa4aff308fddc160c) in the Ropsten Etherscan seach textbox (https://ropsten.etherscan.io/); you should then get the correct address (0x14723A09ACff6D2A60DcdF7aA4AFf308FDDC160C) at the top of the screen, just below the Etherscan logo. I have not tested it thoroughly, so... at your risk!
Thanks for the tip. I did something similar initially, but then I started to work with my own addresses while I followed your examples/samples from the book.
It's a great book - the ICO example is a perfect introduction to many concepts, internal and external. Again, looking forward to getting new chapters smilie

Best regards,
--bjh