berevoescu (6) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,
It seems that a lot (at least the ones I checked up to now) of the addresses in the book are not valid ETH addresses. I think the problem might be that they have all the alpha chars lower-cased. I managed to "fix" a couple of them, but it is a tedious process. Can you check and see what happens?

Thanks,
--bjh
RobertoI (26) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

you are right, I have written most addresses in lowercase, but most tools should interpret them correctly anyway. For example, Remix raises a warning but it should still process them correctly.

Can you please let me if any tool is not able to process them?

Thanks
I mainly use Remix right now and yes, it was a warning, but I did not get into this anymore, since I started to use my own generated addresses, rather than use the ones from the book (as I went on, I could not use the book example addresses anyway, as I started to check more involved scenarios).

Thanks,
--bjh
RobertoI (26) [Avatar] Offline
I have noticed that since Solidity version 0.4.25 addresses incorrectly formatted (for example addresses that are in full lowercase) will give a breaking error. I am in the process of updating the SimpleCoin examples with correct addresses (which pass the checksum). If you do get a warning or an error because you are hard-coding an address all in lowercase in the editor, a trick to get the correct address is to enter the incorrect one (for example: 0x14723a09acff6d2a60dcdf7aa4aff308fddc160c) in the Ropsten Etherscan seach textbox (https://ropsten.etherscan.io/); you should then get the correct address (0x14723A09ACff6D2A60DcdF7aA4AFf308FDDC160C) at the top of the screen, just below the Etherscan logo. I have not tested it thoroughly, so... at your risk!
Thanks for the tip. I did something similar initially, but then I started to work with my own addresses while I followed your examples/samples from the book.
It's a great book - the ICO example is a perfect introduction to many concepts, internal and external. Again, looking forward to getting new chapters smilie

Best regards,
--bjh