557313 (10) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Milan,

Thank you for explaining coarray syntax in Chapter 5.

In Listing 5.14 it looks like the starting array index "ims" will be zero for the left halo value. I believe that is the intent, so that the other array indices are not affected. Just after Listing 5.6 you mentioned that Fortran arrays start at index 1 (talking about the image index for coarrays). I feel it would be helpful to mention somewhere, maybe a sidebar, that Fortran arrays can be declared to start at any convenient index, but 1 is the default. That may help later in the chapter when talking about the halo values, and the left halo value is at index 0 for convenience to keep the other indices in the array the same. Would extra information about Fortran array index values help clarify the image index and halo value index?

I'm looking forward to future chapters.

Regards, Greg
Milan Curcic (26) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Greg,

Yes, I think that's a good suggestion. There's a slight disconnect right now because I leapfrogged to Ch5 before writing Ch4. We'll cover arrays and indexing in-depth in Ch4 and that will also address this issue of starting array indices. Ch4 comes in the next MEAP update.

Thank you for all your input. I am curious what you think about the level of math used in the book -- see https://forums.manning.com/posts/list/43497.page .

Cheers,
milan
557313 (10) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Milan,
You're right; I forgot that Ch. 4 on arrays is still to come.
I'll check that other thread about the math.
Regards, Greg
575626 (1) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Milan

I would like to add to Greg's comments about arrays starting with an index of 1. In the table in Section 1.4 comparing Fortran and Python features you state that Fortran arrays start with an index of 1. Like Greg, I think this should be expanded to explain that this is the default, and it a feature of Fortran is that you can specify an arbitrary range for the index. For example I regularly use an array with indexes "-n:n" to store pdf/histogram data. This produces particularly readable/compact code when counting negative values, or values not starting with 0 or 1.

Kind regards

John