Tjeerd in 't Veen (19) [Avatar] Offline
The second third of the book has been reviewed, with an average rating of a whopping 4.6 stars! I am very humbled and happy about this since all my free time goes to writing this book. Thanks for the support, it really motivates me and I'm happy people love the book.

Meanwhile, I have been rounding up the asynchronous error handling chapter and the protocols chapter called Putting the pro in protocol oriented programming. In the protocol chapter I avoided talking too much about what a protocol is, since I feel that that would add little value. Instead, looking at fellow developers, I think the biggest hurdle as a Swift developer regarding protocols, is to go over the hump of associated types, using Self, and using generics to constrain protocols. The chapter Putting the pro in protocol oriented programming will focus largely on helping you get over this hump so that you're comfortable using protocols mixed with generics and associated types.

But, that's not all. Because there is so much to share about protocols, I will focus one new chapter on applying patterns using protocols. It will replace the last planned chapter, because I think the patterns chapter will deliver more value. So we end up with one chapter that thoroughly solidifies your knowledge about protocols and generics, and another chapter that shares patterns that you can apply right away, also involving protocols and generics.

Meanwhile, Swift 4.1 has been released with conditional conformance. I have tweaked the generics chapter a bit to show a small portion of this. But, the upcoming patterns chapter will dive deeply into it as well. It's an amazing feature and we can use it to write some thoroughly flexible code. I think with all these chapters combined, you will be writing generics as effortlessly as for loops smilie

That's it for now. Thanks for your support and I hope that you enjoy the new content!