The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

553084 (4) [Avatar] Offline
I have an NVIDIA graphics card and have CUDA properly set up under Windows 10. To install keras in R I used the command
library(keras)
install_keras(tensorflow = "gpu")

and it installed successfully. Currently, I reached section 3.5.5 in the book. But monitoring the code, I notice that all the training for the treated examples is executed on the CPU instead of GPU.

Since I have the GPU version installed, I wonder if I should set some parameter to ensure that training happens on GPU?

Thanks for any suggestion!
256385 (47) [Avatar] Offline
TensorFlow should be using the GPU by default if it's available. You can use this preamble to see specifically what device ops are mapped to:

library(tensorflow)
sess <- tf$Session(config = tf$ConfigProto(log_device_placement=TRUE))

library(keras)
k_set_session(sess)
Hi, thanks for the answer!

Running `library(tensorflow)` returns
Warning message:
package ‘tensorflow’ was built under R version 3.4.4

Running `sess <- tf$Session(config = tf$ConfigProto(log_device_placement=TRUE))` returns
G:\Anaconda\envs\r-tensorflow\lib\site-packages\h5py\__init__.py:36: FutureWarning: Conversion of the second argument of issubdtype from `float` to `np.floating` is deprecated. In future, it will be treated as `np.float64 == np.dtype(float).type`.
from ._conv import register_converters as _register_converters

Then looking at `sess` just gives
<tensorflow.python.client.session.Session>

Then executing `library(keras)` returns
Using TensorFlow backend.
Warning message:
package ‘keras’ was built under R version 3.4.4

And finally `k_set_session(sess)` does not return anything.

None of the above commands mentioned GPU though...

After that I tried to execute the complete training example of the Reuters data set in section 3.5.1-3.5.5 and training was still executed on the CPU.

Perhaps there is something else I can do?

EDIT:

I also tried something like
tf$print(sess.run())

to emulate what is done in the "Logging Device placement" example here: https://www.tensorflow.org/programmers_guide/using_gpu
but R just returned

Error in py_get_attr_impl(x, name, silent) :
AttributeError: module 'tensorflow' has no attribute 'print'
OK, I think I came closer to the core of the problem. Turns out the first time I ran the IMDB example, it was executed on the GPU, but filled the GPU memory completely. Running the fit function again after that crashed R console and the GPU (The NVIDIA GPU was not able to be used even for games after that and even after a windows restart). I had to disable and enable the GPU in device manager to get its functionality back. It does get used for R tensorflow now, since I see memory usage and copy activity on the GPU when a fit command is executed. However, periodically I do get the same crashes, and sometimes I get a blue screen with "Driver_Power_State_Failure" message (which is certainly correlated with the R tensorflow activity since I have never seen this blue screen before on my system).

My impression is that R tensorflow graphics card support is not stable (e.g. it does not free memory on GPU after a fit function run). Running a separate tensorflow installation with python never produces such problems with GPU for me.
256385 (47) [Avatar] Offline
The R behavior of fit should be identical to that of Python (it's an extremely thin wrapper over Python fit). The issue here may be that in R you are executing the fit within an interactive session (where the TF graph, etc) is retained across executions of `source` whereas in Python you are executing the script in it's own process which allows the memory to be freed after the process exits.

In R you an use the `k_clear_session()` function to clear out the TF graph between runs.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give this a try.