livingdata (2) [Avatar] Offline
Greetings forum,

This is my first post.

Up to now, I'm at part 2, chapter 4 of the book.

I tried to input the following command:

$data << EOD
1 0.5
2 0.75
3 0.99
EOD

If everything's OK, I should be able to input the two data columns as shown in the interactive gnuplot session following '$data << EOD'. However, after pressing enter after the EOD indicator, the gnuplot session become unresponsive but the cursor's still blinking. I couldn't input any data from this point on.

Another method of using inline data to plot is to use pseudofile name "-" in the using directive. Unfortunately, I couldn't get this to work either.

To obtain the exact same plotting result as the code above using this method, I should input the following command:

plot "-" u 1:2

After pressing enter, I got the following response:

input data ('e' ends)>

The cursor's blinking but gnuplot wasn't responsive and I couldn't input any data beyond that point.

I tried to search in the bug section at stackoverflow and there's nothing about this problem either. I really have no idea what's going on and where to start solving this problem. I'd appreciate any solution for this.

My gnuplot version is 5.2.2 patch level 2 running on Windows 10, terminal type is wxt 0 enhanced. The installation file is gp522-win64-mingw.exe and was downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnuplot/files/gnuplot/5.2.2/

Since this is my first post, I'd also appreciate any suggestion should there be anything improper about this post. Thank you very much.
philipp.janert (286) [Avatar] Offline
This is an interesting problem. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Windows machine right now,
so I can't reproduce your problem, but let's try to narrow in on the likely cause.

Have you tried using a different terminal, such as the qt terminal, the win terminal, or even the dumb
terminal? (Run "help terminal" to see a list of all installed terminals.) The fact that gnuplot becomes
"unresponsive" makes me wonder whether it's a terminal problem...

livingdata (2) [Avatar] Offline
philipp.janert wrote:This is an interesting problem. Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Windows machine right now,
so I can't reproduce your problem, but let's try to narrow in on the likely cause.

Have you tried using a different terminal, such as the qt terminal, the win terminal, or even the dumb
terminal? (Run "help terminal" to see a list of all installed terminals.) The fact that gnuplot becomes
"unresponsive" makes me wonder whether it's a terminal problem...

Hello philipp.janert,

Thank you very much for your reply. I tried all the available terminals of gnuplot 5.2.2 just for the sake of inline data input. None of them worked. The problem of gnuplot becoming unresponsive persisted. I tried rolling back to gnuplot 5.2.0 and still encountered the same problem. I'll try running it on Linux and see if the problem persists. I don't want to do this though, not because I don't like Linux but it's just more work. Is this a known bug anyway? Should it be reported as a bug? Thank you again.
philipp.janert (286) [Avatar] Offline
I could not reproduce your problem on Linux, using gnuplot 5.0.3 (the only one I have currently installed).

So, what you observe might be a 5.2 version regression, but I doubt it. I think it is more likely that it's an
issue with gnuplot-on-Windows, specifically with the way gnuplot reads input on Windows.

When you type commands at the gnuplot prompt, gnuplot internally reads from standard input - but I am
not sure how standard input works on Windows. I think it is possible that the way gnuplot emulates stdin
on Win fails for the particular case where you try to enter data (as opposed to commands).

I am sorry that I can't be of more help: I have used gnuplot only very rarely on Windows and have never
tried to develop for that platform.

You might want to report your experience to the gnuplot mailing list at gnuplot-info@lists.sourceforge.net ,
which is monitored by the developers.