The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

supotuco (32) [Avatar] Offline
Line 62 of BooksCollectionViewController.swift is

viewController.book = self.fetchedResultsController.object(at: selectedIndexPath)

suggested fix is

(edit)
viewController.book = self.fetchedResultsController.sections?[selectedIndexPath.section - 1].objects?[selectedIndexPath.row] as? Book
Craig Grummitt (50) [Avatar] Offline
Hi supotuco, thanks again for your feedback. I assume you're talking about page 332, right? I'm squinting my eyes at your suggestion and I can't work it out! smilie Am I missing something? Aren't both lines the same?
I did mistype the suggestion.

it was supposed to be

viewController.book = self.fetchedResultsController.sections?[selectedIndexPath.section - 1].objects?[selectedIndexPath.row] as? Book

updated original comment
Hi supotuco - thanks for updating your question. Could I ask your reasoning behind the suggestion? Is the line in the book not working?
I get a crash when I select a book in the BookCollectionViewController
Ah ok. What sort of error messages are you seeing in the console?
Is it crashing on that line?
I don't know how to use the xcode stack trace to find the line so I attached my console output.

Steps to reproduce.

1) Checkout Chapter11.7.StoreCoreData branch from book repo
2) Add a book
3) Switch to collection view
4) Click on a book
I've finally had a chance to have a proper look at this, thank you for your steps to reproduce, that cleared things up. You're right - there's a bug there when clicking on a book in the collection view in the core data section.

Your suggestion is definitely one way to solve it, digging the section out manually of the fetched results.

I solved this a different way, in the cellForItemAt method, generating an updated index path from the selectedIndexPath but forcing it to section 0, so I could still take advantage of the object:at method:

let updatedIndexPath = IndexPath(row: selectedIndexPath.row, section: 0)
viewController.book = self.fetchedResultsController.object(at: updatedIndexPath)

I'm updated the repo, thanks again for discovering this and letting me know!