The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

551125 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Jon.
It took me a while to arrive at my first EF Core Migration, but finally it got it working. Now, I am looking to follow you along in several chapters of querying, but first I would like to seed the new Db with some data. After some research I found that this works not as easily as in EF6. Where is the code or the sql script to seed the new Db?
I don't want to write tons of query code without being able to apply it to the Db, right? I did find "CreateSpecialBook', but that is only one entity, I want 100 entities.
I have looked around in your GitHub site, but the chapter branches prevent me from any overview to perform a directed search based on an educated guess, so I cannot find this seeding code or script. Help me please.

Regards, Nick.
Jon P Smith (40) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Nick,

Have a look at section 5.9.2. In there I talk about linking to a database in an ASP.NET Core application, and in listing 5.10 I talk about where to put your seed code and in listing 5.11 I show a simple seed code. Some more complex seeding code is in branches Chapter02 onwards and can be found in ServiceLayer.DatabaseServices.Concrete.SetupHelpers.cs.

I do have a book generator class for creating data for performance testing in all the Chapter13-??? branches. If you want to play with that its in ServiceLayer.DatabaseServices.Concrete.BookGenerator.cs. But be warned - its complex (for performance reasons) and I don't support it as its not mentioned in the book.

For an overview I suggest you select the branch of a high chapter, say branch Chapter12 (13 and 14 change things) and then look at the code. I build the code progressively, with the next chapter branching from the last chapter so you see the sum of all the changes. That might help.
551125 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Jon,

Thanks for the quick reply.
I have taken the Apress JSON data and created some slq scripts from it to populate the Authors, Books and BookAuthor tables. I didn't fill the Review or PriceOffer tables.
So now I have some data in my Db to start querying.

Regards, Nick.