Jacob Stein (18) [Avatar] Offline
I have noticed about 15 typos along with code style inconsistencies in the first 5 chapters. I recommend also checking all the diagrams, as commas are needed in multiple places. On figure 5.8 you have "return Content("The URL is {url}");, you need a $ for string interpolation. Additionally, in some of the earlier chapters you refer to HTML in both lower and uppercase, the same is with URL. In a demonstration (image) you even have it lowercase! I'm enjoying the book, but I seriously hope these issues are corrected, as editors aren't always looking at the technical side of things.
I found 2 more examples just by reading a few paragraphs of the live book: "{controller}/{action/{code}" around https://livebook.manning.com/#!/book/asp-dot-net-core-in-action/chapter-5/v-11/260, alone with punctuation for the sentence being inside the code block.
Around 5 in chapter 6:
"In the previous chapter, I showed you how to define a route with parameters – perhaps for the day in a calendar or the unique id for a product page. But say a user requests a given product page – what then? Similarly, what if the request includes data from a form, to change the name of the product for example? How do you handle that request, and access the values the user provided?"

ID should be capital.
Figure 6.1 is also missing (...); on line 7.
Not JavaScript, https://gyazo.com/97071f8041ea1f9511080240bea790ae . smilie Figure 7.1, the else.
Also figure 7.1, "renderedto."
Around 283 on Chapter 7, "(Asychronous Javascript and XML)," should be JavaScript.
Chapter 8, around 59, "nut shell" should be "nutshell."
Chapter 12:
"There are a number of ways to tackle this, such as scripting the .NET CLI, applying migrations in your app’s startup code, or using a custom tool. Each approach has there pros and cons." Should be "their."
Andrew Lock (51) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

Thanks for these, I'll make sure they get fixed in the copyedit process

Andrew
Thanks, you also have Main in lowercase in Chapter 15. I take it you write Java?
Haha, not for many years smilie

I can't find that reference to Main - though I know I fixed one previously, so hopefully I already caught it.

Thanks for the diligent eye smilie

Andrew
I'm not really sure what's going on here either:
"<environment exclude="Development">
<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://ajax.aspnetcdn.com/ajax/<!--#A-->
[CA] bootstrap/3.3.7/css/bootstrap.min.css" <!--#A-->
asp-fallback-href="~/lib/bootstrap/dist/css/bootstrap.min.css"<!--#B-->
asp-fallback-test-class="sr-only" <!--#C-->
asp-fallback-test-property="position" <!--#D-->
asp-fallback-test-value="absolute" /> <!--#D-->
<link rel="stylesheet" href="~/css/site.min.css" />
</environment>"

It's quite annoying, as the comments on Razor pages don't work in the web version. I don't think you mean to be loading ajax as a stylesheet though. I kind of see how the <!--#A--> plays into it, and I assume the [CA] is part of that too. The problem is without comments it's difficult to tell what things do.
The formatting is unfortunate, and is due to the line-size limitation in a book. It's also unfortunate the comments aren't parsed correctly by the online version.

The [CA] means there was a word wrap, so this is the code block (unwrapped)

<environment exclude="Development"> 
<link rel="stylesheet" href="https://ajax.aspnetcdn.com/ajax/bootstrap/3.3.7/css/bootstrap.min.css"
    asp-fallback-href="~/lib/bootstrap/dist/css/bootstrap.min.css"
    asp-fallback-test-class="sr-only" 
    asp-fallback-test-property="position" 
    asp-fallback-test-value="absolute" /> 
<link rel="stylesheet" href="~/css/site.min.css" /> 
</environment>

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense!