Jeremy Caney (28) [Avatar] Offline
Steven, Mark—

I came across a number of formatting issues in my e-reader (Marvin 3, on iOS). I haven't checked to see if these are specific to Marvin, or if they show up on other e-readers as well. That said, since Manning Publications publishes their ebooks as separate downloads, and those downloads have become increasingly difficult to onboard to e.g. Kindle, I figured it might be worth reporting these. Marvin 3 seems to be one of the more popular third-party e-readers for iOS—though it obviously doesn't have the reach of Amazon's Kindle or Apple's iBooks.

Note: Instead of trying to articulate each of these issues, I'll just take screenshots so it's clear what's happening.

Table of Contents
The double-digit chapter numbers are aligned inconsistently with the single-digit chapter numbers

Notes (including Definitions, Warnings, &c.)
These have lot of padding above them; sometimes, this is longer than the callout itself.

In addition, the icons vary in size considerably, which is not only inconsistent, but also causes formatting issues in some cases.

Callout Boxes
There is very little padding between paragraphs in the callout boxes. This would look better if it were increased, or if the first line of the paragraph was indented. (In addition, the padding around the box is a bit lopsided.)

Bullet Lists
The type in bullet lists is much smaller than the body type.

Annotations
The image for the annotations (a really nice feature!) has an underline underneath it which appears to be unintentional.

Listings
As in other books by Manning Publications, the listings show up as dark blue with black text, making them unreadable.

Note: I don't have image processing software on this device, so the text on these images looks pretty bad due to OneDrive's (really unsophisticated) image resizing.

Jeremy
Marina Michaels (47) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks, Jeremy. I'll forward your post to the Manning folks who prepare the eBooks.
Thank you, Marina! One additional item I noticed, in section 3.2.2, there is a Definition and a Note inside of the About DI Containers callout box. It appears, however, that the icons used for the Definition (an star) and Note (an "i" in a blue circle) are on white background (see attached). Ideally, this should be an e.g. PNG-24 with a transparent background so that the background color of the page displays correctly.

Jeremy
Marina Michaels (47) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks once again, Jeremy.

Those icons are temporary and will be replaced once the book is in Production.
Aha, that makes sense! Thank you.