TS McNamara (45) [Avatar] Offline
The team at Manning informs me that the Rust in Action MEAP will be updated shortly.

What does chapter 6 cover? Here is an excerpt from the introduction:

This chapter covers

• What a pointer is and why some of them are “smart”
• What the terms “the stack” and “the heap” mean
• How a program views its memory and why that’s a lie

The chapter provides you with some of the tacit knowledge held by systems programmers about how the computer’s memory operates. It aims to be the most accessible guide to pointers and memory management available. You will be learning about how applications interact with an operating system. Programmers who understand these dynamics can use that knowledge to maximize their programs' performance, while minimizing their memory footprint.

For this chapter, I'm actively soliciting suggestions for improving the text. It's been several weeks' work so far and I feel that I am too close to be objective. Please let me know what you think!
19705 (3) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,

I have just made it through to the end of chapter 6 now and I have to say it is an amazing book so far! It goes a lot deeper into lower level areas than the other Rust books which really helps. Thankyou so much for writing it.

On page 168 you say it can be costly to reach the capacity of the TLB (typically around 100). Do you mean 100 bytes? Is this the value that is returned by std::mem::size_of<>()?

Are there any idiomatic tricks in Rust that you can use to keep your data structures smaller, or is it purely down to the design of the code? Time and space allowing, I would love to see some examples here. A program with an inefficiently sized data structure that runs slowly, then refactored so that it fits in the TLB and runs demonstrably faster - although I do appreciate that could be a whole chapter (maybe even book) in itself. My appetite has definitely been whetted!

Looking forward to the next chapters!
TS McNamara (45) [Avatar] Offline
19705 wrote:Hi,

I have just made it through to the end of chapter 6 now and I have to say it is an amazing book so far! It goes a lot deeper into lower level areas than the other Rust books which really helps. Thankyou so much for writing it.

And thank you for this feedback! It's really heartening. Writing a technical book is as hard as everyone says it is! And because the other Rust books are of such high quality themselves, it makes the threshold even higher.

On page 168 you say it can be costly to reach the capacity of the TLB (typically around 100). Do you mean 100 bytes? Is this the value that is returned by std::mem::size_of<>()?

This is a good question. No, it relates to the CPU's word size (isize and usize). Intel CPUs have 128 slots in the TLB, half for data and half for code. And it gets even more complicated than that as the TLB is split into L1 and L2 cache itself. There's lots of complexity there, which meant that the chapter took a lot more time than I had originally budgeted. I hope that the balance has been struck.

Are there any idiomatic tricks in Rust that you can use to keep your data structures smaller, or is it purely down to the design of the code? Time and space allowing, I would love to see some examples here. A program with an inefficiently sized data structure that runs slowly, then refactored so that it fits in the TLB and runs demonstrably faster - although I do appreciate that could be a whole chapter (maybe even book) in itself. My appetite has definitely been whetted!

Difficult question.

I think that a good rule of thumb is that if you can keep to types that implement Copy, your program should run very fast. This implies numeric types such as integers and floating point values.

Deeply nested structures with lots of pointers will lead to cache thrashing. But it's not that simple. As part of the development of the chapter, I experimented with several programs to see if I could make things deliberately slow. But the compiler was always too smart and much of my deliberately inefficient code was optimized away.

Looking forward to the next chapters!

They shouldn't be too far away. There are about 80 pages awaiting release that just need an extra few tweaks before they get released smilie

If you would like to take a sneak peek, you are welcome to check out the NTP client that I have written that will be explained in chapter 9 or so: https://git.nzoss.org.nz/tim-mcnamara/timepong

Thanks again for the words of encouragement. They're very helpful.
504184 (1) [Avatar] Offline
A “raw” pointer is a pointer is there a.

Is the above (first) sentence in 6.1.1 (Raw pointers in Rust) is misconstrued?

Also here some typos: https://livebook.manning.com#!/book/rust-in-action/chapter-6/v-7/point-3284-47-47-0. Should it be (changes are in red)?:

• They do not own their values. The Rust compiler does not check that the referent data is still valid when they’re accessed.

• Multiple raw pointers to the same data is allowsed. Every raw pointer can have write read/write access to that data. This means that there is no time when Rust can guarantee that the shared data is valid.

• P.S. Should we report typos as well or the book will be proofread anyway?
    Elesha H. (5) [Avatar] Offline
    The book will be proofread, so reporting obvious typos isn't necessary. If you see a mistake that would not be obvious to a non-developer who was proofreading, we would appreciate your reporting that. Thank you! :o)