Tjeerd in 't Veen (12) [Avatar] Offline
The speed is picking up! Two-thirds of the book is sent to the internal reviewers.

The map and flatMap chapter will be released shortly. As soon as the chapter was finished, compactMap is introduced in Swift 4.1, and to keep you up-to-date, the chapter covers compactMap and is now renamed to “Understanding map, flatMap, and compactMap”. The chapter will cover in detail on how to map and flatMap over arrays, dictionaries, sequences, optionals. Also, how to deal with the pyramid of doom and many other tips, such as flatMapping over strings, and nesting flatMap and compactMap operations. It is highly practical and I think you’ll love it. This chapter has gotten quite “big-boned” and my personal reviewers said this was one of their favorite chapters so far!

Next, I’ve been writing the error handling chapter. Originally it was only going to cover the asynchronous error handling with the Result type. But, I had too much to say about regular error handling as well so this chapter also grew quite large (oops!)

Because the chapters grew so large, I decided to make some changes; The map/flatMap/compactMap and error handling chapters incorporated many ideas that I reserved for chapter 12 (fighting pyramid of doom, later: writing maintainable code). I split up the overly large error handling chapter into two: one for synchronous error handling best practices, and a focused chapter dealing with asynchronous error handling. This means that the original chapter 12 is dissolved while keeping the same amount of chapters. Ultimately, you get extra information about error handling, while still keeping the knowledge that was meant for chapter 12.

Regarding error handling, I wager that even if you have been using error handling and the Result type, the chapters will teach you many new practices and ways of thinking about your errors that will continue where Apple’s documentation stopped. (Hint: It involves (flat)mapping over errors and values)

See you next update and thanks again for reading and supporting this book!