The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

welkie (26) [Avatar] Offline
One thing I try not to do when purchasing Manning books is encounter overlap. After reviewing the descriptions of both this book and Irresistible APIs, I find their differences unclear. I was wondering if the author could share what will make this book unique?

Thanks
Arnaud Lauret (10) [Avatar] Offline
Hi Matthew,

I feel that Kirsten's book is about API advocacy and DX, it provides an overall view of why and how to do APIs in a project. It contains "only" (not a criticism) some general principles of API design.

My book explores deeply API design: It shows all aspects that a designer should be aware of. It explains meticulously how to design APIs. But more important it explains the principles behind all this: why API should be design in a certain way.

I wrote a blog post to explain what I'm trying to achieve with this book: The story behind The Design of Everyday APIs book

Does that make sense?
Do not hesitate to tell me if you need more explanations.

PS: This message is (almost) a copy/paste of my answer to the same question on Twitter