The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

415716 (2) [Avatar] Offline
Hi john,
I started reading your book, it is very good. I have a generic question, it is very good to design a system based on MicroServices architectural style (if it appropriate for the use case). But, When I deploy these containers in to an orchestrator(Docker swarm , Kubernetes), some of services(spring cloud) I am getting from an orchestrator by default, e.g service discovery, config etc. what are guidelines to build MicroServices application using Spring boot and Cloud, and want to deploy into a orchestrator?
Thanks
Sreejithu
John C Carnell (44) [Avatar] Offline
Actually thats really great question and I think one that more and more people encounter as they use tools like Kubernetes.

Spring Cloud is a really great solution if you are already heavily invested in the Spring ecosystem. However, orchestrators (like Kubernetes) already offer many of these services. I think the question you have to ask is:

1. Whats the learning curve for the orchestrator? If you are already a Spring shop the learning curve for learning another tool has to be taken into account. I love Kubernetes but it did come with a learning curve.

2. How homogenous is your service environment? Are you running all your services in your orchestrator? If so , it might make sense to use the orchestrator's capabilities. However, if you run a heterogenous environment you might want to run your service-discovery, config service, etc... as separate from the orchestrator because you can end up duplicating capabilities because you are running services inside and out the container.

3. How committed are you to the orchestrator platform? I think this is something you have to look at from an organizational perspective. Do you see the orchestration platform as a long-term commitment? Are you going to have the right level of expertise to manage the platform.

I personally think that tools like Docker Swarm and Kubernetes are great tools, but every organization is going to have different needs.

Hope that answered your question.

Thanks,
John
415716 (2) [Avatar] Offline
thanks John. Great.