Marc (34) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,
The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland) made it clear: "Words mean exactly what I want them to mean. Nothing more, nothing less.".
As a relative newbie to C#, with a background in C++ and Java, I understand Properties to be a stylized version of private, instance variables with getters/setters. Rather than have the IDE create all that as source code, Microsoft has the compiler do the same work, while the actual source code is very sparse.

My point: I thought you (and Microsoft) indicated that backing fields are specifically associated with Properties. They can be auto-generated by the compiler, or explicitly by the programmer, but the term "backing field" only applies to Properties. True or False?

Thus my confusion when bullet #2 states "The counters service is passed in as a constructor parameter and stored in the
backing field".
Would that sentence be more correct if it stated "...in the instance variable", or words to that effect?

Thx,
M.
Jim Bennett (88) [Avatar] Offline
Probably 'instance field' would be more accurate as it is an immutable field rather than a variable. I'll add this to errata for a later version. Thanks!