The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Campbell Ritchie (88) [Avatar] Offline
Page 30. I had a slightly different experience; maybe they have changed the repositories in F27
sudo dnf update
[sudo] password for critchie:
Fedora 27 - x86_64 - Updates 2.6 MB/s | 17 MB 00:06
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:04 ago on Sat 27 Jan 2018 02:42:33 GMT.
Dependencies resolved.
Nothing to do.
Complete!
[critchie@campbell ~]$ sudo dnf install virtualbox
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:30 ago on Sat 27 Jan 2018 02:42:33 GMT.
* Maybe you meant: VirtualBox
No match for argument: virtualbox
Error: Unable to find a match
[critchie@campbell ~]$ sudo dnf install VirtualBox
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:47 ago on Sat 27 Jan 2018 02:42:33 GMT.
Dependencies resolved.
================================================================================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
================================================================================
Installing:
VirtualBox x86_64 5.1.30-2.fc27 rpmfusion-free-updates 7.3 M
Installing dependencies:

Transaction Summary
Install 29 Packages

Total download size: 35 M
Installed size: 110 M
VirtualBox rather than virtualbox (I was surprised to see capital letters) and it is in the RPM Fusion repository.
David Clinton (92) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks. I'll add a note about that in the chapter...but the longer process I document is still important for the package management principles it teaches.
David
smilie
Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be the end of the story smilie

All was well until I got a routine new kernel (4.14.14.300→4.14.16.300) at the end of last week. All of a sudden, booting became much slower than it had been; there were two start jobs, one for Sophos anti virus daemon and the other for create kmods with akmod which seemed to take much longer than normal and had an unlimited timeout. I managed to boot into the old 4.14.14.300 kernel (not debug); sudo dnf undo last didn't help the situation. After a bit of searching, I found this, and followed their suggestion about uninstalling akmod, but as predicted, Virtual Box was uninstalled too. Booting normally now smilie. Maybe it is something to do with a new kernel. I shall have to try the old technique for installing Virtual Box.
Have you seen anything like this with Virtual Box before? I haven't posted on any other fora yet.