The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Mohammad Inzamam Malik (13) [Avatar] Offline
Sometimes context has explicit components ("We need to talk about your
performance on the Gunderson account.")

and it always has implicit components ("my
boss is an easy-going kind of guy").

what is the difference b/w implicit and explicit context?
can you please share your thoughts while you are writing this line, I'm exited to know more about this
dustin (14) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks for asking. What I was trying to say there is that in the explicit example, you get the information from what is directly being said (this is about the Gunderson account) while in the implicit example, you get that information by "reading between the lines" (I shouldn't be worried that my boss is mad because he is an easy-going kind of guy).
Mohammad Inzamam Malik (13) [Avatar] Offline
Thank you for your quick response
What I understand is: me and my friend listen a really nice joke about bowl, and now whenever we get together i just say "hey Asif, bowl" and he just start laughing out of control

So what you are saying that when I say "bowl" to my friend Asif actually I'm implicitly passing the full joke in context
Looking forward to listen from your side, by the way you wrote re nice book well detailed theory with references, I don't like theories in fact but I don't know why I am enjoying your book maybe it is because I am so excited about voice Technologies
dustin (14) [Avatar] Offline
First off, thank you for the kind words. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the book.

You've got the implicit part down. That's indeed what it means.