ptmy (22) [Avatar] Offline
I have the following questions regarding the examples in chapter 2; I'm running on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS:

1) When I'm choosing passwords and creating accounts as specified in chapter 2, am I doing so just for the Ethereum test network (btw, it says I'm on Rinkeby, not Ropsten as stated in the book; has Rinkeby superseded Ropsten?), or are these same accounts and passwords also used for the production network when I'm ready to deploy an application?

2) I downloaded the zip file for the Ethereum wallet, unzipped the folder, and executed the wallet application. I pointed to the test network, and the application started to download the blockchain. I assume this blockchain is the one from the test network - correct? Looks like the Wallet application created a directory called "Ethereum Wallet" in my ~/.config folder; are all data (e.g., the blockchain) relating to the Wallet application stored there (so that if I need to uninstall the Wallet app, all I have to do is just delete this directory)?

3) Does the wallet actually run a client (e.g., something like Geth) behind the scene on my behalf?

4) When the Accounts overview screen opened, it doesn't tell me what network I'm connected to. How can I ensure I'm not accidentally operating on the production network?

5) How do I switch to a different test network, or the production network when I'm ready?
RobertoI (26) [Avatar] Offline
Hi, Roberto here.

Many thanks for having posted the questions. They are very useful and I will try to amend the manuscript accordingly. Here are my answers:

1) When installing the in the test environment, let's say the Rinkeby test network, as you have done, any account (and password) you create through the wallet UI is only associated to that specific network. This is because the keystore of each network is located in a separate folder within the ethereum folder:

Main prod network keystore: ~/.ethereum/keystore
Rinkeby test network keystore: ~/.ethereum/rinkeby/keystore
Ropsten test network : ~/.ethereum/testnet/keystore

Rinkeby is replacing Ropsten and I believe the Linux wallet is kow installed by default against Rinkbey.

2) Although the Ethereum wallet of each operative is slightly different in terms of layout and of folder location, and I am used mainly to the Windows one, I believe you are right: if you remove the Ethereum wallet folder everything will be removed.

3) Yes, the wallet accesses the network through geth

4) The screen layout of each wallet operative system version is slightly different. On Windows the netwok name is shown. I believe you can check it on Mac and Linux by navigating from the top menu to Develop -> Network. But the UI layout tends to change slightly at every release, so that menu might be different by now.

5) If the Develop -> Network menu option is available, you should be able to use it to switch network.
264445 (9) [Avatar] Offline
Hello,
one addendum to this. When I start the wallet I am given only the option of Rinkeby, but that one doesn't have the start mining option. I had to switch to Ropsten once the application had started up.
hope that helps,
adil
RobertoI (26) [Avatar] Offline
Thanks, Adil