The Author Online Book Forums are Moving

The Author Online Book Forums will soon redirect to Manning's liveBook and liveVideo. All book forum content will migrate to liveBook's discussion forum and all video forum content will migrate to liveVideo. Log in to liveBook or liveVideo with your Manning credentials to join the discussion!

Thank you for your engagement in the AoF over the years! We look forward to offering you a more enhanced forum experience.

Campbell Ritchie (96) [Avatar] Offline
Page 6, end of first paragraph about ls. It mentions “the /var/”. Do readers know about paths starting / and that this means the var directory inside the root folder? Is there any risk of confusion because the code block following uses /var not /var/?
David Clinton (92) [Avatar] Offline
Hi,
I apologize for not replying to this post earlier...for some reason I didn't get the update message.

Campbell Ritchie wrote:Page 6, end of first paragraph about ls. It mentions “the /var/”. Do readers know about paths starting / and that this means the var directory inside the root folder?

Good question. I took another look and that shouldn't be a problem. This was addressed just a bit earlier:

All the files in a disk partition are kept in directories lying beneath the root directory, which is represented by the `/` character. 

Is there any risk of confusion because the code block following uses /var not /var/?

That always drives me nuts. After all, who ever types that trailing slash while doing real work? But on the other hand, it's an important typographic standard. smilie
But now that you've brought it up, I think I'll add a slash to the code block to make it more clear.
Thanks!
Campbell Ritchie (96) [Avatar] Offline
Thank you for the response smilie You are much faster than some books fora.
I feel like a real fusspot (or fuss‑budget like Lucy van Pelt), but little things like that can interrupt the reader's flow of thought and upset the reading process.